Movie Review Thread

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Movie Review Thread

Postby Eliahad » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:28 am

"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:49 am

That is a good point. I think I should rewatch sometime when I'm less sleepy. My kid probably would go for that.

Watched Dr. Strange with the kids, loved it, as did the kids. There's a lot of weird stuff I find silly that the kids are impressed by, but whatevs, it was amusing.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:10 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:54 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:02 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:28 pm

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:34 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:50 am

You’re a piece of shit. Please do your little dance of joy at making me upset. While I know it wasn’t your goal to make me specifically upset- it was your goal to make someone upset. It worked. So celebrate what you’ve accomplished. Celebrate that you’re a terrible garbage person that does not get joy from making others happy, but only finds validation in making others angry or upset. You’re an irredeemable cruel asshole- and this is what you’ve always been. Go fuck your set and leave the site.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:33 am

On Twitter they have a saying for this like "delete your account". I would ask my doctor, sorry daughter, but she only rolled her eyes. It would be terrible to be that guy that the other people don't want to go to Thanksgiving dinner with.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:56 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:08 am

Right. That’s why you’re a garbage person. Because in real life “with a couple of beers” you wouldn’t say the insulting horseshit to my face about autistic people because you know my son is autistic. But you do so here for whatever gross personal satisfaction you get from it. Fuck off, you sack of shit. Leave the site.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:19 am

Saw Bohemian Rhapsody and Goodbye Christopher Robin recently.

I thought Rhapsody was a pretty human take on a legend. He doesn't come off as completely noble, and there are some pronounced moments of hypocrisy or fickleness that I thiink would be spoilers to talk about. I liked it, and I left the theater seriously jazzed to listen to Queen. I also had to look up whether Malik actually sang in the movie, because I could tell that it was different from the album recordings. The technical process they used to recreate Mercury's singing was fascinating.

Goodbye Christopher Robin - Very well done. I learned some stuff about A.A. Milne I never knew, and watching how Winnie the Pooh affected the life of the real life Christopher Robin was kind of heartbreaking at some points. I think his mother comes out looking bad, but not like a monster. Watching Domnhall Gleason NOT as a shouting space-fascist was nice. He's pretty good when you give him material to work with.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:10 pm

The Devils Gate
A Twilght Zone feeling film about a lonely farm, a missing person, a FBI agent, a small town cop, and something in a basement that has world ending implications.

Fun film! The last 5 minutes is one of those eye rolling scenes that kind of wraps things up for the dummies in the audience and is not needed at all but other then that it's worth a watch.

*** 1/2 out of *****
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:06 pm

Mac & Me

A pretty nice masterpiece. Nothing will top dance party at McD and shameless promotion of coca cola.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:44 pm

Watched some sex in the city, and the city? One of those movies. They're every bit as horrible as you would imagine. They exist purely to infantilize and humiliate all women. Negative stars.

Today watched Julie and Julia, again. It is improving the second time around, or maybe I have PMS and roasted a lovely chicken and veg thing for supper, so I feel it more.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:43 pm

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs(Netflix orignal)

Absolutely ENTRANCED by this anthology film that covered a half dozen stories or so of the weird wild west. It easily could be my fav film of the year, ENTRANCED I say.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:04 pm

WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Mortal Engines:

Dumb. So dumb. At least 5 or 6 times in this movie, characters do stuff that is suspension-breakingly stupid for almost no point. The villain does dumb things just to be more evil, the heroes do dumb things just to move plot. There's also the economically rational butt-kissing Hollywood throws to China that I can never un-see. But...every time the dumb pulled me out of the movie, something awesome pulled me back in. It's Mad Max (for good and ill), with cities on the move. Every time London attacks a smaller city, some part of my brain starts playing the song "London Calling". If the Doof Warrior happened to be chilling out on the steps of St. Paul's, not only would I have been unsurprised, I would have been thinking "where have you been?"

It's obviously YA fiction, because YA lets you be this dumb in service to doing really creative and awesome things. It's so far from best movie of the year that it would need satellite footage to see the best movies of the year...but I do not feel like my money was wasted. It does what it sets out to do. It even manages to be YA adventure without being a Boxjumper movie. It gets dark in nonsense ways that still end up being pretty metal, imo.

Weird note, I spent way too much time wanting to get on my phone to google the male protagonist's actor, because he was familiar and I could not remember him. Turns out he was the annoying kid from the British show Misfits. I liked him in that, so it was retroactively kind of cool for me.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:05 pm

My wife and I re-watched "All the President's Men." A hell of a movie. It astonishes me how good it is, given how weird it is--virtually no action, almost all talking. And there's no real conclusion since the movie ends before Nixon resigns. But it does work. One of Goldman's best screenplays--and that's saying something.
Reel on a repeating loop
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Best screenplay by Goldman? No. That's Princess's Bride, obviously.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.

Return to “Nerd Talk”