Gettin’ Biblical!

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Gettin’ Biblical!

Postby Kyle » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:30 pm

We were evacuated from our house this morning at 6 am. By 11 am my house took on at least three feet of water. Here’s my house:

But here’s the thing: WE’RE INSURED!

And everyone’s safe. We’re staying with friends and have our dogs. No one was hurt. It’s just stuff.

But as I told my daughter- the cool part is that we’ll be talking about this for the rest of our lives.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Gettin’ Biblical!

Postby Bonefish » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Didja play Texas Flood while y'all was getting outta there?

Good to hear you are ok man.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Consoles and holiday 2018 games first!
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:35 pm

Wow. Good deal getting out, better deal being insured.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:09 pm

Glad you're all ok. Good for you to keep a positive attitude about those things you can't change.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:36 pm

OMG!!! I'm glad you all got out safely! Are you going to try to go back to the house after it is fixed up in some way or are you going to try to move? I'm glad for the insurance but oh, what a mountain of work. Is there anything we can do from afar to help?
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:14 pm

Man that is hard to look away from and hard to imagine it being your own home. I hope you're all okay. Saw the posts online.

Please let us know if there is anything the Pride can do for you.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:04 am

Thanks Ron. I don’t want to sound crass, but we need money. The thing about flood insurance is that it doesn’t provide a housing allowance. Nationally, all flood policies are like this. So even though my house is unlivable, I still have to pay the mortgage and also pay rent to stay in another house. If my house had burned down, my homeowners policy would pay for my living accommodations, but flood insurance doesn’t do that. Also, FEMA hasn’t declared this a national disaster (and maybe never will because the total damage to all houses isn’t high enough), so a lot of the disaster relief programs won’t help us. The Red Cross told us that the town ten minutes away from us was hit harder than us, so they’re going to focus their assistance efforts on them and not my town. It’s been pretty frustrating.

Also, we found out yesterday that the city is probably going to require us to tear down our home and rebuild it elevated, which would cost over twice what the house is worth. If we can’t afford to rebuild it, we have to have it demolished. Compounding the problem is that flood insurance (we were fully insured) will only pay for the damage done, so even if we have to demolish the house, insurance will still only pay us for 60% of the value of the house (or whatever the final damage claim is adjusted to). Thus, even though we’re fully insured, it might be that we have to demolish the house, and the insurance payout will still leave us owing thousands of dollars to the mortgage company.

And while that all seems terrible- and it is- we’re keeping it all in perspective and trying to see the humor and joy in all of that. I’m not saying it’s cool being homeless, but it’s making for a pretty good story that we will have fun telling for the rest of our lives.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:20 am

How much elevation does the city think would have helped here?
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:20 am

Return to “Nerd Talk”