Do you follow Order of the Stick?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

Do you follow Order of the Stick?

Postby Mike » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:54 pm

Order of the Stick (OotS) is a webcomics that is, as Thor puts it "a self-aware stick-figure fantasy parody." Its been running for years and has some of the most engaging storytelling and character development as well as being funny.

Over 1100 pages in now, and it can be pretty dense at times, but so worth it. Latest episodes have been top notch. We're really building to something.

And Thor is friggin awesome.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Do you follow Order of the Stick?

Postby bralbovsky » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:57 pm

Follow, no, but have seen perhaps half of them. They're often brilliant and meta.

Also don't follow but recommend XKCD and Stand Still, Stay Silent.

Following requires routines which I am no good at.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:14 pm

I love Stand Still, Stay Silent, but like many webcomics, I find that I have trouble following it as it updates. Pages flow one into another to build the narrative, and most often a single page makes no sense on it's own. Updates are just far enough apart that the flow is not there for me. This is one that I will stay away from for a while, and then I'll read the last three or four months all in one fell swoop, so I get the full effect.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:12 am

I did at one time, regularly. I stopped following about two years back.

The only webcomic I still follow regularly is PVP. He came back strong when he started doing Table Titans, and his recent anxiety related stuff in the standard PVP has been some of his best work in years. And Table Titans is just flat out amazing. That's more my speed for a gaming group comic, than the in-game model of OoOS. Oddly, I follow the LitRPG books pretty heavily, which is basically OoOS in self-published books.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:33 am

I kinda got side tracked by Erfworld
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:31 am

no, but I keep meaning to.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:33 pm

Thanks to FB reminders, I'm up to date. It's coming to an interesting circle. I always thought Redcloak was interesting as not quite a villain.

I love the idea of Erfworld, but once he started supplementing the art with textbook entries, I'm lost almost every time I check in. I thiiiink I'm caught up there, but there's contract stuff now and changes to a magical system that I don't really understand in the first place.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:33 pm

I finally gave up Erfworld about a year ago when I realized I was dreading having to get updated on it. So much weird complicated crap going on, i felt like the passion was getting lost in the meta stuff. At least for me.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:04 pm

I tend to binge and then let a comic slip away for a while, so ithe lack of updates has been... Slightly LESS neverwrqking
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:28 am

I've had to do that a bit with Goblins. I think it's an amazing comic, and the art keeps getting better, but Thunts update schedule is hard to follow sometimes. The health issues didn't help, either. On the other hand, they're making a cartoon of it with a pretty impressive cast list, so I've got that to look forward to.

Return to “Nerd Talk”