World Cup

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: World Cup

Postby FlameBlade » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:41 pm

I am rooting for any team to beat Russia.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:46 pm

Ugh, I like Sterling, but some of those England players are such jerks, now I want Colombia to win. Their ball handling is so superior and artful - Arias, Cuadrado, Uribe, Mojica - they just need to get past that last line more often. I like how often they challenge and force hasty plays. They're not taking enough shots though. Sterling is brilliant but being overwhelmed by about three guys on him. I assume Kane is great but the game plan seems to be for him to draw fouls or wait to be set up.

Kind of like Neymar does - and I know soccer fans are all fussy about this but my opinion about the drama and diving has changed 180 since I first started following the sport. I used to think it was lame and, as a general species of dishonesty, awful. Now that I realize everyone is fouling everyone in every possible way every time they get a chance and think the ref isn't looking, and sometimes when they are looking, I no longer give a crap about dives, especially when it comes from a player like Neymar who is targeted constantly throughout a game. A lot of helpful students of the game have assembled the evidence for us: you can go watch the multiple times Neymar was knocked to the turf in the Mexico match and nothing was done, he didn't act out, play went on... then you have one obvious case right in front of the ref's nose where a player purposely steps on his injured ankle (and yes, they definitely know that was his injury, for certain), and people want to cry about Neymar crying. Well, let the man cry, I say, because he's having the crap beat out of him and this is his one chance to get justice. It's a strange situation where some degree of dishonest exaggeration might be necessary just to get justice applied. It also pisses me off when men whine about the unmanliness of other men whining. If it's so unmanly to whine, especially when you have a reason in the middle of a match where everything is at stake and someone really did something to deserve a penalty, then it's about ten times as effeminate to whine about it on TV or in print afterward, like you're such a mental and emotional weakling that some other guy's whining has wrecked all your enjoyment of the day, and then it's about 100x - no, 1000x - more shitty for you to be calling another man unmanly, as if measurement against effeminacy is a crime. Women soccer players would kick all your asses. We have seen that proof. Try bearing a child you *******. Anyway, the officiating in this cup so far, at least in the matches I've seen, has been worthy of the corruption levels of both Fifa and the host nation.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:59 pm

Humor: during half-time heard some commentators who are for England - they think Sterling should be pulled out, think the officiating is all against England, and think the Colombian players are out of control violent. Lol! We all perceive from our perspective...
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:17 pm

Japanese team is all that: cleans dressing room, leaves thank you note. Geez.

Colombia/England breaking down into violence, recriminations. Maguire is a giant crybaby even as he is constantly pushing people. Ugh, he alone makes me cheer for Colombia. Yes, Barrios headbutted Henderson, and normally that's a red. But, Hendersen started it by pushing into Barrios and pulling his arm down behind his body, which technically also should be a foul in the box, so... The English announcers are not keen to show that more incriminating angle, lol. Yellow seems like a fair resolution if you ask me. Then Colombia coach digs his shoulder into Sterling. Nasty! But what was Sterling doing running past three inches away from the man's body in the first place? Questionable. The whole thing is a mess. Telemundo is kicking me off; router is not doing what it needs to.

UPDATE: Whatta game! Wow. It was ugly, it was high drama, and what an ending!
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:45 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:55 pm

WOWWWWWWWWWW that was amazing! What a match! Kyle your team was astounding. The level of defense through that whole last half was intense, and showed how it's done without being ugly.

The time of possession also really tells a story - Brazil has the ball a full 15 minutes more but cannot penetrate that double-line of defense. And the goalie, that guy, the arm! That last huge save... wow.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:58 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Seems most likely that there will be a Belgium vs. England rematch in the final, yes?

Though Belgium and Croatia are the only teams that won all 9 points in the group stage. It'd be cool if they get to the final together. And France ain't bad. And Swed--- ok, anyone but Russia. Team FlameBlade!
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:38 pm

Aw yes. Now I can watch the rest of World Cup in peace.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Zombie
The Zombdigitty

Postby Zombie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:25 am

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:54 pm

have you guys seen the smoke show calling the shots in Croatia? Hubba hubba!
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:54 am

If somehow this comes down to England vs France, I may well have to find obbs and bobs of it to watch.

FOR BRITANNIA!!
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Half way there... Belgium has first off day, poor guys.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:58 pm

Heartbreaking. Here's the single goal Russia scored:

El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:13 pm

Seems legit. Definitely no interference.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:27 pm

We got ourselves a game
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:27 pm

I may faint from the excitement of it.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:01 pm

Think I am going to root for Croatia. France had its turn, and not to mention having a headbutting player 12 yrs ago.

Clue in ancient Greece.

Return to “Nerd Talk”