Trump

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Trump

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am

Facts no longer matter to the Republican Supreme Court majority. Great. Hope the facts matter to them when they have to deal with other crises that challenge democracy, and not just with a Muslim ban that we sat here for over a year hearing was exactly a Muslim ban and nothing else.

Arne Duncan is also an asswipe. There, was that civil enough for you, Arne? Or is it "civil" to make a straight up direct comparison between denying black people the right to sit in a restaurant and Sarah Sanders being turned away because she openly advocates businesses refusing services to LGBT people?
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:51 am

LOL, the California judge ruling against family separation. You know how much Trump hates that, but he can't write a nasty little tweet about it because he's currently pretending to hate the idea of ripping the children away from their mommies and daddies. Can you imagine how badly Steven Miller wants to get on TV and argue about that? We'll probably have five new horribly racist policies by the end of the month just to make up for the frustration.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:11 pm

lmao forever

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/27/politics ... index.html

Can’t wait for the Democrats in power to say Trump’s person is “completely unacceptable” before saying “but he is the president and he gets to pick” and confirming him with a 74% margin.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:58 pm

Well, it may take a while for a new person to be nominated and confirmed, and we may need to investigate the actual docket a bit to see what's bubbling up, but as the mother of daughters, I'll be purchasing a stockpile of Plan B. And heads up: every person on this board should do the same unless you think that birth control preventing implantation is tantamount to murder. I do not think it is; conception just doesn't work like the magical One Moment myth says. But if there is any chance that you, your wife, one of your kids, or one of your future kids could have an unwanted or dangerous pregnancy or be assaulted, you need to have some Plan B on hand.

This is literally what the women I know are talking about today as soon as it was clear Kennedy is retiring. This is not a drill! The proportion of women who have never been sexually assaulted is way too small, and I hope my kids and yours are in it; the proportion of people who have never had a birth control failure is likewise small. I don't think Plan B keeps in the fridge forever, so sometime in the next thirty years we had better have a changing of the guard in the other direction. It was terrifying enough to go through the options with our doctor when I had a kid at 40, and made clear to everyone that even in an emergency I was not to be taken to a Catholic hospital No Matter What (no offense to Catholics present, but I didn't want to die and leave my girls motherless in the event of an emergency, and that happens in real life). Now things are even more real.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:29 pm

gonna buy stock in coat hanger companies.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:09 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:22 am

Even if sanity prevails in our November elections and the subsequent ones, the Supreme Court thing is horrifying. There's a pretty good chance that everything that laid the foundation of the modern interpretation of the right to privacy will be rolled back, including Griswold V Connecticut, because all these extremists think it was wrongly decided. I hate to be so cynical but the only upside of this is that multiple generations of people have now lived through a time when abortion was relatively safe and relatively legal, and it has never even been a question in their minds whether they'll have access to contraceptives. Most of these younger people, especially the ones younger than my generation, are already tilting left compared to those who will be making these decisions to affect their lives. When the religious right makes them lose a major freedom they were taking for granted, the political landscape might shift significantly. Sorry to bring up this old saw but it is so true that if men could get pregnant absolutely none of this would be happening. It just is. The men on this board are among the most enlightened and reasonable ones I have ever known, so much so that it might be difficult for you to imagine how totally irresponsible most men are on this issue. Maybe you've seen other men exemplify it, but it's really something to be on the receiving end. The price of women's sexual freedom has been that men take their sexual freedom for granted and use it to their own advantage. Think about what it would be like to live through a 1950s era contraceptives morality In a culture already trained to recognize sexual assaults more readily, without any assumption that you marry someone you impregnate, and without the constraints of religious life that used to apply to more people. We are also living in a world where the majority of medical students are women. I'm unhappy that we may have to live through some serious b******* especially at a time when my kids are going to be teenagers and young adults. On the other hand, most people probably have no clue how extreme these people they've let take the reins really are. We must never let them forget that it came courtesy of Donald Trump, a man whose personal morality, far from being opposed to the religious right, is in fact the deep and exact truth of what it's all about.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:11 pm

oh boy sounds like you took half a ambien and fell asleep watching handmaids tale! no one has even been nominated yet!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:15 pm

Who do you think is going to be nominated who wouldn't overturn not only Roe v Wade but a bunch of other stuff that supported it? He had a public finalists list before, and if the person is even close to the people on the list of finalists whoo boy. Buy the plan B like I said.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:04 pm

Don't love how when certain liberties are theoretically threatened, women's health rights, for example, it's, " no worries, hasn't happened, prolly wont..." but when other rights are on the table, most notably here, guns, it's panic and over-reaction and doomsday.

Judges, the ones in the pipeline, the ones on the list, are going to be reliable logical gymnasts. That's always been true, but McConnell's failure to uphold his oath of office means that we're seeing the end of checks and balances, the end of balance in general. I wish Handmaid's tale was better, in general, but it is a wet dream for certain demographics, that they aspire to and work toward, like scrubbing diversity from everywhere, like allowing corporations to pretend they're people, like eroding ADA adjustments, or clean water protection (Flint is still poisoned, btw)

Here's the difference: Don't like abortion, don't have one. Don't agree with same sex marriage, marry someone who agrees with you. The other direction (including regulation of guns being a notable exception) is coercive, destroys personal liberties, and forces individuals to bow to corporations or bureaucrats prying into their relationships with their doctors or their lovers. Unlike gun regulation, which has had isolated 'successes,' stigmatizing womens' health and certain kinds of supportive relationships, has had a constant trendline where rights get attacked and narrowed in jurisdiction after jurisdiction. The SCOTUS impact has been to temper that, or reverse it. To simultaneously repudiate Korematsu, and then duplicate it, was the best empirical evidence that we're in for a bad run.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:22 pm

It's sort of refreshing, in a horror-movie way, to acknowledge that all this would be going on even without Trump. Because since Merrick Garland! This is our reality now.

Also feeling somewhat cheered that my new name Ofron is a helpful sort of eyedrop!
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:53 am

Starving yourself to own Drumpf who probably wants you dead anyways, let see how this plays out for them

https://nypost.com/2018/06/27/ethel-ken ... SocialFlow
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:14 am

It's already a win, because it's all over the news drawing more attention to this wickedness, at a time when the news also contains a bunch of bullshit about how the family separation policy was "reversed", which is really misleading and the overall problem remains as bad as it was before.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:01 pm

Nesting dolls of evil.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:43 am

I think our flags should be half staff over the attack on The Citizen. It might not be because the leader of the US hates the media or doesn't want to see flags lowered on Super Patriots Day. Or...

The mayor of Annapolis asks incredulously if there's a cut-off for tragedy. The sad answer is yes. Of course. Tragedy is daily. I'd again argue this is an attack that deserves lowered flags, but there is a cut off, for sure.

The only solution is to keep the flag always raised or always half staff.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:09 pm

Occam is really starting to point to some stage of Alzheimer's. I realize that many times there's a method to the madness, an effort to create chaos within which bad things can be done unnoticed, an effort to divert attention from anything politically damaging. Yes, that happens, but that seems as much like a team effort as a one man show. Meanwhile, the "I cant' remember what I said yesterday" and "I believe anything I hear if it sounds helpful or good to me, and then I repeat it" is really hitting a peak. Sometimes it seems like he doesn't remember what he said at the beginning of a speech or interview. On the other hand, his normal rambling style makes it hard to be sure.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:29 pm

Using mental illness as a insult! Very non progressive and ablest! Not good!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Right, that's exactly it! I am encouraged by the fact that they had to fly the flag at half-mast after all, because every once in awhile they realize they f***** up by listening to Stephen Miller and then he doesn't actually represent the mood of that small sliver of middling Republicans they need to function.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:24 pm

Court ordered Trump admin to start reunification.

Turns out that hundreds of family identification records were destroyed. (Crime vs humanity, and violation of Federal records rules)

Trump admin also wants extension to the deadline.

Children being ordered to sit in court proceedings.

23 scandals was what it took to take down Pruitt. What took so long?
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:24 pm

hopefully by now all potential illegal immigrants realize the very high stakes of sneaking into the country and will stop putting their children in danger by bringing them along

Return to “Nerd Talk”