Trump

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Re: Trump

Postby poorpete » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:00 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mimekiller » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:03 pm

No. Totally unconscionable. We should immediately deport the family as a unit back to the extended family they left behind in their home country—that way we achieve the maximum degree of family togetherness.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby FlameBlade » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:50 pm

All Lives Matter, eh?
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Fix immigration. It needs to be fixed. Fix it. Fix it. Fix it. We all know what a good immigration bill looks like: it'd look something like the various ones that political oppositions have torpedo'd in the last two decades for cheap pops. Fix it, fix it now, fix it fix it fix it.

Dudes I work with shouldn't have to worry about whether they can pony up 5 grand to get back into the states if they're deported. Fix the fucking problem.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:15 pm

Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:18 am

Essentially if your product is brought to market without paying a taxed employee you are part of the problem. If it takes higher prices to do that, then mabe we need to revisit just where it is on the cost scale that we are willing to sacrifice our morals for a cheaper head of lettuce...
Unfortunately we know it isn't going to be the CEO's pay that is cut in order to make a product "legally".
Like corporate taxes, these added costs will be paid in cut pay, cut jobs, and higher prices.

There is no law against greed and that is what the heart of the problem is. I do believe that the majority of greed makes its home at the top of the corporate skyscraper like a giant eagle's aerie.

I have no solutions, but I think if we try to force greedy people to do what is right they will put all their efforts into finding a way around it and punishing those who sought to burden them with morals.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:39 pm

EO signed, all ends well, right?

Fucking wrong.

Zero plan for reunification. Children flown to other states in the dark. Children drugged.

And they are going to try to build camps for families, and that's still awful.

To those who say that they should have came in legally, they purposedly constrained the flow to force long lines, and ultimately forcing some people to try cross the border the other way.

All of this is manufactured crisis, and not over yet. I am planning to march in DC on 30th

Clue in ancient Greece.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:40 pm

All so I could look in my kids' eyes 10 years from now.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:26 am

I'll believe any of this has improved when I see it. Otherwise, all I know is that the people in charge are world-class liars, as proven on a nearly daily basis, and I know they hate immigrants and are fighting tooth and nail to harm them. On the other hand, the great news is that even if this was a manufactured crisis, it showed people that by getting really noisy, actually calling their representatives, and making a big stink about something immoral, they were able to force Trump to make a public concession. What if we kept doing this, like, every day? What if all the people horrified by this actually went out and voted? It absolutely astonishes me the number of people - especially young people I know - who are unhappy about current events yet have not even looked into registering to vote. Or there are other people who have registered to vote and yet claim not to do it. I am here to tell you, it does not hurt to vote, not even a little.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:25 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:27 pm

bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:05 pm

In my observation, no excuse mind you, younger people do not vote - these are the kinds of people you would think would get involved in a positive way, or at least purposeful way - because of debt. Most often student debt, because it has prevented them from engaging in two important activities that are gateways to political involvement: buying a home, having kids. People who pay taxes and evaluate what their money is being spent on are much more likely to care about politics. Not having those connections makes voting somewhat more disconnected.

Is this exclusion purposeful? I'm unwilling to say that the grey robes are quite that clever, but taking a lot of someone's money is an easy way to prevent them from doing much besides eating doritos and playing COD.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:48 pm

Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:56 pm

So, are we cool about the whole immigration crisis now? Like, we're not gonna do the kids in dog cages thing anymore or whatever, and the first lady wore a really tasteless jacket. But we're done with this, right? Now we can move onto the budget? What a doozy.

Say, how come all these assholes seem to keep doing this shit?
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:58 pm

Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:24 pm

bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:58 pm

Let's begin by getting rid of prisons (or other detention facilities) for profit.

Let's establish what it will cost in terms of time and training, to become a citizen, with some rational consequence (maybe worth it to people who feel they are out of choices) for "illegal" entry.

Let's equalize the rules for Cuba.

Let's take the power to allow someone to apply for citizenship away from employers (who often keep "legal" immigrants as indentured servants).

Let's shift the emphasis for our personnel and our resources to assimilation rather than exclusion.

Let's be firm and universal about due process.

Let's establish a transparent metric for asylum. If it requires contacting a mission or embassy or the CIA to verify danger, then let's say so. I'm certain that many asylum seekers carry information, names, dates, other intel, that would be hugely valuable to law enforcement and intelligence.

---Right now, fruit is rotting in the fields. Right now, bills are piling up (owed, coincidentally to campaign contributors to this admin) for housing, and feeding and transporting those ensnared in this zero tolerance crap. Right now, important events are happening in countries we've either wrecked or we get dangerous drugs from, that would be helpful to know about, and we are not just squandering the opportunities to know and act on that information, we are creating people who have concrete reasons to resent us. We are building a machine of revenge, as if on purpose.

ok, maybe too heavy, sorry, how bout just "stop with the negative vibes, man." and make policy that does it too.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:22 pm

I like our idea. It sounds reasonable.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:18 am

May I just say, I don’t like Sarah Huckabee-Sanders, but the restaurant owner that refused to serve her and her party is also an ass. He did nothing to help really make things better, just inflaming the right and left both. If he really wanted to make a good statement, serve her, serve her well (no spit in her food), and tell her all the cost of her dinner will be donated to a charity helping the immigrant children. Then see how much she tips. Do THAT, and then you give no ammunition to the right, but make a statement for the left and middle.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:59 am

It's a new precedent. Don't kick people out because they're gay or black or muslim or whatever. Just say you don't agree with their politics. Bam. No longer a protected class!

Return to “Nerd Talk”