Listening Party: Dear Evan Hanson

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Listening Party: Dear Evan Hanson

Postby poorpete » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Your goal, if you choose it, listen (or relisten) to Dear Evan Hanson. And lets chat.

I'll start.

Listened once, and read the synopsis on wikipedia. Song that took me was "Sincerely, Me" because comedy always hits my ears first and hardest.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Listening Party: Dear Evan Hanson

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:07 pm

My daughter loves this musical. She and my wife actually went to watch it in NYC at the end of November, and just missed seeing Ben Platt in the lead role by 10 days or so. It's been a couple months since I've listened to the album all the way through, but I'll give it a go again.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:39 pm

"Anybody Have a Map", "For Forever", "Waving Through a Window" and "Only Us". This is second on my list of musicals I must see. Turkish and I know all of the words and can't wait for an opportunity to get tickets.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:06 am

Overall, it's a good album, I wouldn't skip any of the songs, although there are certainly some songs I like more than others. They're all definitely have more impact when you understand them in the context of the story being told. While my wife and daughter have already seen this in NYC, I'm sure they wouldn't mind seeing it again if it comes to Chicago, Milwaukee, or Madison, so I'm looking forward to seeing it with them at some point.

'Sincerely Me' is definitely amusing. And I can certainly understand the feeling behind 'Anybody Have a Map?', and think Phoebe would love it! I guess I'm a bit of a sap because I really like 'For Forever', 'If I Could Tell Her', 'Disappear', and 'You Will Be Found'.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:43 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Is "You Will Be Found" supposed to be both sincere and insincere? Is it okay because even though he's a big liar, Evan here is speaking a universal truth?

Also, I wrote a song in 2005 called "Good For Her" that has the same biting sarcasm as "Good for You". I'm going to sue :-)
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:30 pm

I see this here and I have asked my daughter who loves this stuff. She is giving me the full synopsis right now. She's very excited and exercised in favor of telling me about Evan, so that she can't tell I am typing to my phone. He has a crush on his sister? Multiple suicides? Wtf. Oh, one real one attempted. And someone else's sister, not his own. Whew! She painted flames atop her eyebrows so I'm having trouble keeping serious. Wherefore art there such flames upon your eyebrows? "At the end it all goes to shit. Everyone is mad."
Ok I look forward to hearing it.

Return to “Nerd Talk”