Catan and its Settlers

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Catan and its Settlers

Postby Phoebe » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:44 am

The seems like the sort of game people in our household might enjoy. Apparently there is a whole umbrella of games about Catan, whatever that is presumably a place, and then in one there are settlers and others there are something else. So which one would a person buy if you wanted to start this thing up or which one is the best for long-term enjoyment?
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Re: Catan and its Settlers

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 am

Start with the basics, definitely. Just the original version to see if you enjoy it.

While I'm at it, may I suggest Carcassonne? Also, Dominion (start with original one to see if you like it as well.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:29 am

LOL! I thought Flameblade's signature was two more game suggestions that I'd never heard of! LOL!
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

In that vein, Godball is certainly recommended when it's done.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:51 am

Yes. Carcassonne and Dominion are great choices. All of these have some random elements but are competitive and potentially cutthroat and skilled players can crush.

One element of Catan worth noting is that it allows direct negotiation between players. Other games let you be cutthroat through strategy/tactics, where Catan has that but also allows direct dealings where you can bully people and play mind games and your deals are only as good as your negotiation skills. It's not a huge element--you're trading goods you need to build with--but it can make or break a strategy sometimes. Some like to play up that part. Some don't.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:04 pm

"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:02 pm

Anytime my brother gets a run of bad luck in Catan he plays civil war ken burns music on his phone and starts narrating his losses, always gets a big laugh
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:31 pm

Dude we can barely get through a round of UNO around here without people pulling out the long knives. It's exhausting, I need a gentler game. Quiddler becomes some kind of chess-like death match. I don't know why.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:03 am

Yeah, if you can't get through Uno without murdering, not sure Catan is going to work.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:21 am

There are other competitive games where you have less at stake than Catan and less work to do than Carcassone.

I suggest Khan of Khans - a card game were you compete to gather the best herd of cattle for your tribe. Every game takes about 30 minutes to play and the art is wonderful.

Also, Smallworld - here, you are competing to score the most points through the ages with different civilizations that come to dominate the continent. I like this one a lot because everything you build (aside from your score) is temporary. Often times, you'll find you need to take territory from a race you once controlled. Again, the art is great and the pieces are fun to play with.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:49 am

try a co-op? maybe Forbidden Desert or Foridden Island?

A fun but old game is"Survive! " it can be as competitive as you like
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:23 am

The Captain is Dead is a GREAT co-op with a Star Trek-ish theme. It is very difficult and would make a great challenge. Your husband would enjoy this immensely.

Like most co-ops, the potential drawback is that if one player is really good at it--and really bossy--it could wind up being a one-person game with all the other players simply doing what they're told.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:08 am

I am loving all these suggestions!

Return to “Nerd Talk”