Trump

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Trump

Postby Bonefish » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:18 am

I think the self serving element needs to be emphasized. These people belong to the Millionaire class, almost universally. They almost always advance the needs of their own over those of the rest of the country.

The goddamned foxes are in the goddamned hen house, and we argue about whether the Blue fox or the Red fox is worse.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Bonefish » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:38 pm

Just to remind people: it's 2 minutes from midnight. We are actually CLOSER to annihilation than when Nena released 99 luftballons, a song famous about the dangers of escalation into a world ending nuclear war, a song a few months older than me. And I was only 34 days old when Stanislav Petrov saved my life.

And the clock didn't start moving towards midnight all of a suddenly. It's not any one person. It's been ticking closer for half my life. Can we please try and push it back?
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:08 pm

One of my absolute fav line of absurd thinking is that somehow just getting a more DIVERSE pack of self serving millionaires in government will lead to significant change.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:52 am

So. Parades, eh?
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:11 am

Did you see the picture of
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:19 pm

While it is hilarious, I do caution about making too big of a stink over this, or making it too much about Trump. We all know why he is doing it, but stop for a moment and think: our last military parade was in 91 after the gulf war. Now, since 9/11 our military men and women have been in a constant state of war, for the longest period in our history. Maybe a parade, making them the centers of public attention and lavishing some live on them might not be a bad thing.

The guys who are going to be in charge of this are the same guys who, when Trump tweeted about transgender in the military, held a press conference where they drank wine, admitted they had been blindsided, and pretty much contradicted Trump's tweet. I don't think they will be marching behind an effigy of Our Leering Leader, nor will they be chanting any heils. Let's just calm our tits and see where this goes.

Otherwise, we just make this more about Trumpkin and make ourselves look like petulent children
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:47 pm

I mean I will give all the hand wringing hysterical people that TRUMP has driven insane this, historically when flags start waving like this and chests get thumping, it's super concerning. What that means in 2018 when the USA has been constantly at war for almost 2 decades I'm not sure.

But yea Trump is for sure smooth brained and you know he wants to wave at this parade from a golden balcony on Trump Tower with a outfit on that Gaddafi(RIP) would call garish
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:08 pm

I think the food box is a really good idea.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/ ... ion-343245

I personally know two people that will be oh shit how can I turn a box of food into my fix.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:30 pm

I have fond memories of the government cheese. It's a mystery how people square this with their venom-spraying, white-hot loathing inspired by Michelle Obama harmlessly encouraging people to grow and eat healthy vegetables, but whatever. Liberty, bitches!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:36 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:29 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:59 am

In my youth I feared it might injure the brain; but now that I'm perfectly sure I have none, why, I do it again and again.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:09 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:52 pm

El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:35 pm

The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:55 pm

https://jezebel.com/goodbye-to-the-smal ... 1822964996

Charity should provide as much help as possible. I don't see how delivered planned meals are better than credit card based accounts.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:55 am

I would rather see a hot meal service for the "shut-in" if that doesn't exist already.

Isn't making someone wait for food to come in the mail a bit aof a power-play which will only reinforce someone's feeling of dependence.
One of the worst things a body can do is sit and wait. Keep the food stamp/SNAP program and don't rob people of the chance to get out and at least choose what they are going to eat.

I have had people argue with me about healthcare saying that "Everyone needs a doctor at least once a year" to which I reply "Everyone needs a farmer 3 times a day". Really there is no reason for people to do without food here of all places. To make someone get a food plan box has an insult attached to it.
It is the idea that :
1) You don't deserve to choose for yourself
2)You will just blow the money anyway.
3)We don't trust you
4)We hold everyone who gets this kind of support in contempt and want to embarrass them and make their lives as difficult and out of their control as possible.
I believe that is a lot of the sentiment behind the food-box idea and food stamps in general and I think it is shameful because it's kicking someone when they're down.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:02 am

Well said. These efforts are also so cheap, and so often impact kids and the elderly. Just let people have this pittance that lets them avoid hunger, you know? That's how I feel. How petty do you have to be to get fussy over such things and burn to crack down on waste? Well, who knows - the Governor of Nebraska is a billionaire so petty that he rescinded some meaningless joke award his office accidentally gave to people whose political views he doesn't like, so... Not sure there's an upper limit for some.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Guaranteed no matter who is in charge: once they control someone's intake entirely, they'll start to add pharmaceuticals, IDK, birth control, anti-depressants, the mind reels. ...Lead?
They already do it to a limited extent in military meal plans. (Began with sugar, and controlling mood and activity, works wonders)
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:39 pm

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.

Return to “Nerd Talk”