Trump

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Trump

Postby Mike » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:47 pm

First off, I feel for the people who will actually suffer due to the shutdown. That sucks. That includes people who will actually lose time and pay (or have it all delayed because of this), but also includes people who live paycheck to paycheck and were counting on their tax refund, but just found out that that the IRS isn’t accepting returns yet--and won’t at least until this is resolved, if not longer with the new tax laws.

But let’s be fair here. It takes 60 votes to keep the government running. Therefore, both sides have the ability to block this and keep it from passing. Neither side has the ability to keep the government open completely on its own. So it is unfair to blame the closing entirely on one side or another. The nuanced discussion that no one is having is that BOTH sides have chosen to allow the government to shut down, because whatever principle they are standing on is more important to them at this moment.

DACA seems to be the sticking point. Democrats in Congress are willing to let the government shut down if they don’t get some continuation of the DACA program. They have been willing to grant more money for border security and “the wall” in exchange, even though most of them disagree with providing more money for those things. They were willing to give some things, but getting a guarantee on DACA is important enough to them to shut down the government.

Republicans in Congress are willing to let the government shut down rather than provide any sort of guarantee of the continuation of DACA. DACA is something that Trump and all the major Republican leaders have said they wanted. At the last budget face-off, they promised that they would put DACA to a vote. They never did. Now they say they still want to vote on DACA and provide help to the people it covers, but they don’t want to do it now with the budget resolution. They want to move forward on the promise that they will get to it. And delaying action on DACA is important enough to them to shut down the government.

Both sides have chosen a government shutdown. If you want to play blame, you have to talk about why each side made that choice and debate who (if anyone) is being unreasonable or disingenuous or whatever. The color of my explanation above makes it clear that I think the Republicans are the ones who are being unreasonable and playing at political games at the expense of people’s lives and livelihoods. But I’m sure there are people on that side who can give me the counterpoint to that.

Sadly--we HAD a bipartisan resolution ready, but Trump's shithole talk seems to have scuttled it. Which doesn't alter any of my points above... It's just sad that we seemed to have been so close to resolving this.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby FlameBlade » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:29 pm

Not just DACA. CHIP too.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:02 pm

Funding for CHIP was included in the GOP-supported bill that was defeated.

Despite claiming to support DACA, McConnell said something along the lines of: I can't believe Senate Democrats are willing to side with illegal immigrants over American children.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Cazmonster » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:12 pm

Brinksmanship is the only move they have.

Well, that and lying.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Clue in ancient Greece.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:59 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:14 pm

CHIP is being used as an extortion tool by Mitch McConnell. They are the ones choosing to let it die if they don't get the other cuts they want. This absolutely cannot be blamed on Democrats when even Republicans don't agree on their proposals. I get that there are politics on both sides but one side takes giving poor kids health care as an obvious yes and the other is happy to make it a poker chips and destroy as needed. There's no "both sides" to this thing. One side only has that long track record of being willing to shut the government down over what they want, and it ain't the Democrats.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:41 pm

FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:11 am

Then there are multiple reports where GOP senators accuse WH of shifting positions that scuttles the debate. Debating a jello was a quote throw around.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:21 am

If the Republicans have enough votes to even pass a bill, much less get the additional Democrats on board, then it would make more sense to blame the latter. If the GOP can't even get to fifty, maybe it's time to stop dangling the prospect of taking away CHIP as a bargaining tool. Makes it clear they really don't give a shit about CHIP. The Republicans are equally willing to stop government to make sure a bunch of kids who know no other home can be deported, including college students and successful young professionals. ICE is targeting them, because this admin doesn't subscribe to normal human ideas about who makes a desirable citizen. Maybe we assume nobody is going to deport nurses in the midst of a nursing shortage, because we aren't nakedly racist and have sense, but they don't want any nurse who came here as a baby from Central America to stay, period. Republicans said they'd make a deal on DACA after Trump set the early March deadline, but they clearly will not, so their promises cannot be believed. We are going to lose vital people in a senseless, cruel way over this. Thank God someone has priorities straight somewhere. The media has collective amnesia about not only why the past shutdowns happened, but also how they were reported (again, the supposed fault of Democrats!). I remember it well, given that my husband's job was affected. No matter what happens or what the cause really is, the shutdowns are blamed in the supposed liberal mainstream outlets on D's and it's idiotic and mendacious.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 am

Are you arguing with someone or just ranting? Because we seem to agree on who the bad actors are in this situation.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:56 pm

Congress?
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:21 pm

Just ranting. Things are really bad over here.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:39 pm

The Democrats would fuck over every immigrant and every child living in poverty in exchange for Paul Ryan affectionately ruffling their hair and calling them good boys.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:39 pm

WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:14 pm

Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:49 am

Shapiro is a crypto racist. He frequently uses selective quoting to support his ideas on policy. His vdeps where he ”demolishes black lives matter" for example. He is clearly an intelligent man, so I am less inclined to believe his statements are from a position of ignorance, and more inclined to believe that he is purposefully spreading disinformation.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:59 am

Yep, a Shapiro video about being transgender is just a mental health issue is responsible for a bit of a falling out between me (the parent of a transgender child) and a few members of my family who thought his video was all-that-and-more.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:57 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:51 am

Trump again said that he'd talk to Mueller "under oath" only for his lawyers again to walk it back.

Oye. Just realized that we're going to get decades of Trump's Strategy of Incoherence like this is all a brilliant way of keeping his opponents off-kilter, when he's just doing it to everyone, because he's incoherent.

Return to “Nerd Talk”