YIAY How did you find out about Santa?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

YIAY How did you find out about Santa?

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Jacksfilms does a daily YouTube feature called YIAY (Yesterday I Asked You...) Each day he gives the funniest answers from the previous day and then asks a new question.

A couple of the most recent ones make good conversation starters though, so I'll ask them seriously.

First up: for those of you raised in the Santa tradition, how/When Did you learn that Santa wasn't real?
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: YIAY How did you find out about Santa?

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:59 pm

For me, an old rambley teacher told our entire class when I was 8.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Iantha » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:26 pm

I was in 1st or 2nd grade and the older kids on the bus told me.
Walrus
Bicycle Repairman

Postby Walrus » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:38 pm

I was dedicated to a scientific style investigation of the issue, which included stakeouts, successful ones. :shenanigans:
I'm fluent in 4 languages, know a little in 2 others, but all I speak is sarcasm. :sarcasm:
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:21 am

It wasn't traumatic enough for me to recall. But I had 3 older sisters, a couple of whom loved to be mean to me, so I suspect one of them probably told me. That, or finding a particular, unwrapped present under my parents' bed, only to have it appear under the tree as a wrapped present being from Santa.

On the other hand, when my son was in 6th grade, we got a call from the mother of one of his friends, a boy who is a year older than our son because his parents held him back a year so he'd be better at sports, and the mother was complaining because our son told her son that Santa wasn't real, and asking us not to spoil the enjoyment for our sons. We nodded and thanked her, then got off the phone and were like, WFT?!?!, you're kids old enough to be in 7th grade and still thinks Santa is real?!?! He's gonna get f'd up big time when he goes to the public school for 7th grade and has to deal with all sorts of kids with different beliefs!
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:04 pm

I was a feral child and don't recall, but I know my son knew for a long time but played along very convincingly so that his little sisters wouldn't know. My wife (very cleverly) deduced it was the Avon lady.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:16 am

Wait. What are you trying to say about Santa? I know he hasn't visited last few years, but I put that down to my choatic and nomadic existence.

Just what the fuck are you trying to say?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:56 am

Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:32 am

I was 10 that Christmas and my Space 1999 Eagle I got for Christmas from Santa was in a box that had a layaway sticker or a shipping sticker addressed to my parents...That day all the walls came falling sown.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:34 am

My mom took me for a drive and told me. Dunno the age. I was a rube for a while. She was like, boom, Santa, boom Easter Bunny, boom Tooth Fairy. I was expecting Booom God next.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:59 am

When the little min-pool table clearly came from Brookstone and /not/ Santa's workshop.
Last edited by Eliahad on Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:22 am

I was really pleased when Mrs. Darcs told me that a kid who oscillates between being a friend and being a bully to the elder of the two Mini-Darcs told her "Mommy, I dont know why she would make up such a mean lie"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:13 am

Return to “Nerd Talk”