Diversity in 2017 in a nutshell

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Diversity in 2017 in a nutshell

Postby mimekiller » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:56 pm

>Apple fired its black chief diversity officer for saying whites could be diverse
>they replaced her with a white woman
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Re: Diversity in 2017 in a nutshell

Postby Phoebe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:38 pm

I saw that, how tragic. She just used an unfortunate string of words in a broader conversation, to explain a point she was making about how viewpoint diversity is also important to them. I feel bad for people in this position - don't we think she would love to do everything in her power to staff the whole place with underrepresented employees? It seems like her words got cherry picked in order to get rid of her.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 am

But elsewhere let me assure everyone that people are fighting the good fight to make sure that equally or better qualified candidates who are minorities or women are actually being given the chance to even be considered for the job.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Oh my goodness. I am also trying to make the diversity happen in other ways. And trust me I'm going to get punished for it both coming and going. I would anticipate some people are going to be mad because they don't think I'm doing enough, but what they may not understand is I've got reasons for doing it the way I'm doing it so that the end result will be more effective. This is why we don't see movement on the diversity front as much as we should. It can be a very tricky and thankless task to actually make the movement happen.

Return to “Nerd Talk”