Red lights

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

Red lights

Postby Mike » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:51 pm

How often do you (or have you) run red lights?

I can think of only two occasions in my life that I've run a red light on purpose. Once in 1990 and once in 1994. And I can think of maybe 4 occasions where I've run a light by accident... so the real total is probably closer to 10 or so. And then I've got a plethora of incidents in my life where I've (for whatever reason) cut a yellow light really close, so that I'm pretty sure I was through in time, but I should have been more aware and not even tried to make it.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Re: Red lights

Postby poorpete » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:01 pm

I'm a guilty fellow. So I haven't done it on purpose.
Definitely run it by mistake a few times, usually in cities.
And definitely cut it way too close on yellow lights, so that I see the red light as I pass under it. Stuck in intersection a few times feeling guilty but mostly blaming those in front of me who won't move

I blame Mrs. Darcs for all my j-walking :-)
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:47 pm

I've only ever just blown through a red light once, when I didn't realize there was even a street light (I was unfamiliar with the area). The road was abandoned, so it was no biggie.

I know that several times I've gone through the yellow and hit the red before I was through the intersection. I've probably done that about a hundred times.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:11 pm

I'm careful about this because it's a good way to have an accident. I'm a pretty creative driver who believes in moving efficiently from point A to B, but safety is #1, so I don't tailgate or do crazy lane changes and stuff like that.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:37 pm

I flew through a red light once, driving into the morning sun and never even saw it. Luckily, a kind Grand Rapids police officer was there to point out the light. I didn't get a ticket because even he said the light is hard to see at that particular time of day at that time of year because of the angle of the sun but, ever since then, I am very cautious when driving, especially if I'm facing the sun.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:29 pm

The one I ran in 1990 was broken. I sat there for over five minutes at 2 in the morning with no visible traffic anywhere in any direction. I crept forward and backed up, thinking I just wasn't triggering the sensor. Finally gave up and just ran it.

In 1994, my wife was pregnant and bleeding, and again it was in the middle of the night with no traffic, so I ran lights (cautiously) on the way to the hospital. The bleeding was normal and nothing to worry about, but we didn't know that at the time.

The four I remember running accidentally: 2 of them were because I just didn't see them until it was too late. One in high school and one early in my marriage. The other 2 were because I did not decelerate early enough to compensate for ice, so I wound up sliding into the intersection, and when I thankfully realized it was clear, I just continued on.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:55 am

2 times intentionally. because I was the only car there and I was convince that the lights were stuck (it was 4 AM coming home from work...and then one in the afternoon in an open area...no one around ..just me and the light having a battle of wills.

One time on the war to work, this time about 5:00 AM on a different shift...I was tired and acted like the light was a stop sign...stopped looked both ways and proceeded. I realized it about 10 seconds later.

one accidentally because I was behind a semi trailer that obscured the light...he had not slowed down so neither did I, assuming it was green. I barely missed the Grim Reaper.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지

Return to “Nerd Talk”