Dumb Mouse Question

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Dumb Mouse Question

Postby Phoebe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:25 am

I've never had to trap or kill a mouse before. I have one here stuck to a piece of tape and I think it's alive. Should I crush it to put it out of its misery just in case? Is there a place I can take it where it will leave and cause no harm? It's not in good shape if it's alive.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Re: Dumb Mouse Question

Postby Iantha » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:38 am

If it's alive and not in good shape, I'd take a flat shovel, the square shaped ones, and sever it's head with it. Give it a quick offing to minimize its suffering.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:55 am

I release, in hopes they won't return, because I'm a wimp and prefer things alive, except for mosquitoes.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:56 am

Iantha, thank you, that's what I was going to do, but then I discovered it had managed to completely move itself to a new position. So I figured if it could do that while on the tape it could probably survive, so I went with the Pete method. I took the chicken tongs and put it in the ravine in the park. It did not look like laboratory mice. It occurs to me afterward that I hope it was not a small rat. Otherwise I have just saved a small rat. Gross. On Alone they're always so happy to get a mouse, but there's very little to eat on this little thing and it's really gross. I'm glad I don't have to survive by eating this thing. I could handle a rabbit or even a squirrel if necessary. The squirrels in my yard are particularly cute. They eat all the berries and crab apples and get harassed by the dog. The dog is utterly useless in helping with the mouse problem. It just wants to have a lot of fun chasing the thing around.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:25 am

Note to self: remember where you have placed all of your mouse traps. Otherwise you open a drawer and there is a mouse - surprise!!
Also note to anyone: these sticky tapes are incredibly effective. A few hours of them and two mice already yielded.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:41 am

One nice thing about mice is that it's usually possible to actually get them all. Of course now it's a matter of limiting future entrance.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:45 am

That part is disturbing. They could be coming in through many entrances we cannot control or even see. As the weather changes this could get worse, but at least it's not a larger mammal. I really did not like hosting the raccoons, from which we still have not recovered. It is not enough to have a large, fightin' cat - you have to let it loose in all the strange spaces of the house. Maybe there is something to be said for pet snakes after all.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:34 pm

Once while doing some remodeling for an aunt of mine, we demolished part of the roof to gain access to the attic. Well, I tossed my ole tomcat, Atilla, up there. He stayed up there in the attic for a day or so. When he was done, he came to the edge and meowed, so that I could move a chair and he could jump on it's back.

Mouse problem fixed.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:20 pm

I need a cat named Attila.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:11 pm

Just had to kill one by stepping on it. Aieee, there's a reason people use the standard traps and don't bother effing around with more "humane" options. Turns out mouse will try to eat itself to get away. Every time I think about those people on Alone who subsisted on a few of these per month.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Yea their is a reason the phrase "cant build a better mouse trap" exists, the classic trap is simple in its design and lethal quickness. I had mice and trapped three fairly quickly, the rodents never darkened my door again.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:52 am

#$#@@##! I just forgot to buy new mousetraps, likely because some joker came up to me in the store to inform me I left my lights on, which I had not done. So that was on my mind, and I rushed through the essentials. Returned, didn't leave lights on, forgot traps. Wtf was that. Well, mice, sorry.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:55 pm

A simple and effective homemade mouse trap is a five gallon bucket, filled with a few inches of water. Drill two holes in line with each other, install a simple roller, slather peanut butter on the roller. Put two ramps up the side to the roller. Mousie goes after peanut butter, falls off, drowns.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:39 pm

My parents used to get mice in their trailer. They'd come in during the winter, and they'd find them in the spring. Once my mom was cleaning out a nest under the kitchen table. Sucked the mouse right up the vacuum before she knew what happened.

I should mention, she was using the crevice attachment.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:51 pm

Ewwwww.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:12 pm

Heh, the crevice attachment.

Return to “Nerd Talk”