A24

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

A24

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:06 pm

I appreciate the choices A24 has made as a film distributor. I've only seen a handful of them so far, but the ones I've seen, I've liked.

on the internet ranked all 48 of their films. Here's what they got:

48. A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III
47. Tusk
46. The Sea of Trees
45. Dark Places
44. Revenge of the Green Dragons
43. The Adderal Diaries
42. Oasis: Supersonic
41. The Captive
40. Life After Beth
39. Mojave
38. Barely Lethal
37. Laggies
36. Remember
35. Son of a Gun
34. Cut Bank
33. Into the Forest
32. Trespass Against Us
31. Ginger & Rosa
30. The Monster
29. Equals
28. Free Fire
27. Morris from America
26. The Blackcoat's Daughter
25. The Bling Ring
24. While We're Young
23. The Spectacular Now
22. The Rover
21. Slow West
20. Room
19. Mississippi Grind
18. Amy
17. American Honey
16. The End of the Tour
15. De Palma
14. Krisha
13. Obvious Child
12. Locke
11. A Most Violent Year
10. Spring Breakers
9. 20th Century Women
8. Swiss Army Man
7. Enemy
6. The Lobster
5. Green Room
4. The Witch
3. Ex Machina
2. Under the Skin
1. Moonlight

Now notably, the ones I've seen are also ones near the top of the list: Green Room, Swiss Army Man, Ex Machina, The Witch; but if you read through the whole list, the positive reviews start at about #37, so according to that reviewer at least, they're all pretty good.

Which ones have you seen? Did you like them?
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: A24

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:30 am

The only one I remember seeing off the top of my head is Swiss Army Man. It wasn't my thing.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:40 am

I adored Swiss Army Man. I still don't know that I fully get it, but it was a great ride.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:19 am

I tried with Swiss Army Man. I hit my threshold for fart jokes after about 15 minutes.

Ex Machina was pretty good.
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:51 am

Love A24. Moonlight, Ex Machina, The Witch, Green Room, The Lobster, Swiss Army Man, Spring Breakers, A Most Violent Year - all great. Mississippi Grind is a really good fun little road trip/gambling movie. End of the Tour is okay. Under the Skin didn't click for me.

American Honey is shot in 4:3, is nearly 3 hours long and second-bills Shia Labeouf and yet still managed to hold my attention and not enrage me which is pretty impressive.

Reminding me that I really need to see Free Fire and a few others on this list.

Crazy that A24 went from making Charlie Sheen vanity projects to legitimate, iconic Oscar winners in like 3 years.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:12 am

Loved: Swiss Army Man, The Lobster, Green Room, The Witch, Ex Machina

Liked: Life After Beth, Into the Forest, The Monster, Free Fire, Room

Didn't like: The Blackcoat's Daughter, Under the Skin

I'm with Mike- I like what they're doing. Even on the ones that were misses (Blackcoat's Daughter and Under the Skin)- you can see that they were trying for something different and cool, it just didn't hit the mark. What I really appreciate about their movies is that they're almost all small, character driven pieces-- which are my favorite types of movies.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:51 am

They are producing "Playing House" as one of their first forays into TV, and I adore it, though I was already a Jessica and Lennon fan.

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:43 pm

And Amazon Prime seems to have a deal with A24, because I'm finding most of their stuff available there.

Return to “Nerd Talk”