Stanley Kubrick

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Stanley Kubrick

Postby Tahlvin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:09 am

I actually enjoyed that version of The Shining. Much more faithful to the book, and it being about the hotel driving the man crazy, rather than the man just being a fucking crazy-ass person, like with Kubrick's version. I enjoy Kubrick's version as well, but that miniseries was also enjoyable.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
El Jefe
Cleric Thief
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby El Jefe » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:13 am

*points up*

What he said. Except for the part about enjoying Kubrick.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:36 am

Are you sure that's not just Jack N. coming off as a crazy person? He has a big waft of the crazy floating around him all the time, but one of the things that makes Kubrick's movie so powerful to me is precisely that all the things he does up to a certain point are 100% consistent with the way a controlling, and then emotionally abusive, and then physically abusive, person operates in real life, with no craziness beyond that. Part of the horror is that you've got the traumatized people seeing scary images that seem like the most horrible due to their supernatural and spooky quality, but for a long time the real horror behind their trauma is very, very mundane and common. I mean, if Jack's character is coming across as completely unhinged crazy more than any other abusive person is, a massive point of Kubrick's film is lost. The tension between "the hotel making him crazy" and "he's an abuser" is pretty thick and drives a lot of the action, no?

Return to “Nerd Talk”