Reading Journal

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Reading Journal

Postby mimekiller » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:34 pm

Figured it would be nice to have a place for people to post about what they are reading, not really REVIEWS, just a running thread about whatever it is you're reading and what your thoughts are.

I've been reading a lot this year, my laptop broke earlier this year and instead of replacing it with another laptop I just started reading a lot more. I find it a lot more fulfilling than social media and whatever else is going on in the interwebs and I work with computers all day at work so its a nice change of pace.

CURRENTLY I'm reading One Second After by William R. Forstchen. A story about a North Carolina town dealing with the aftermath of a EMP attack on the USA that has thrown the country back into the stone age. I was concerned initially about this book because it seemed a lot of conservatives glommed onto it to suggest how IMPORTANT it is(forward to the book is written by Newt Gingrich)...so my radar was up and the book does get a little jingoistic but it also feels like a honest look in what hard choices a small town would make in the face of a disaster like this. So yea, enjoying the book, I have already reserved the sequel at the local library.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Re: Reading Journal

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:37 pm

I agree with you. We used to have a thread like this and I lost it and miss it. I'm having trouble reading for fun as much I'd like to at the moment, but lately I've been re-dipping into Henry V.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:41 pm

Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:55 pm

About 60 or so pages in Ill Will by Dan Chaon, absolutely hooked already on this book that centers around some crimes that may or not be connected, jumps around decades, good stuff.

Because of the subject matter I was concerned it would be to similar to Dark Places by Gillian Flynn but it couldn't be more different.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:42 pm

Just finished Fire and Frost. I haven't read a Shadowrun book in a while, and I'm having trouble judging it. My attention span is waning and I'm trying to get back into regular reading, but I really felt like parts of the book were glossed over in a way that made the ending confusing.

Problem might be me, but I'm not sure.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:09 pm

I just discovered Will Wight's Of Sea and Shadow series. And it may very well be the thing that took sliced bread in a back alley, beat it senseless, and stole its damn crown. It has Lovecraft without all the awfulness of Howard (so, you know, the rather grotesque levels of racism and sexism). It pulls some steampunk-light elements that remind me of tones of Dishonored, and manages to use Elder creatures/Gods as a source of power and technology. All set against a backdrop of Guild wars, assassins loyal to the now-dead Emperor, said Emperor being previously immortal (in a rather terrifying way), and magic system that relies entirely on items and uses age/usage of an item in a great way.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:46 pm

I tend to read a lot of things at once. Things I'm currently working on:

Rereading the Grout/Palisca History of Western Music. (I'm teaching a music history class this year, and I need the refresher.)

Reading through issues of Rawhide Kid on Marvel Unlimited. (Why? Because I'm trying to read as much of Marvel's back catalog as possible, in somewhat chronological order.)

Rereading/reading Piers Anthony's Geodyssey series. Currently near the beginning of book 2 (Shame of Man).

Gamebook wise, I'm almost finished with Pathfinder Mythic Adventures, after which it's Occult Adventures and Bestiary 6. Also reading a lot of 1st edition stuff I got my hands on; I should finish Book of Lairs II later tonight if I have time.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:19 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:38 am

Finally read book 2 in the Odd Thomas series, it's OK, might continue the series but I don't feel a pressing need to

Return to “Nerd Talk”