My NPR Manifesto

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

My NPR Manifesto

Postby Kyle » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:55 am

Do you why Mikes podcast is so great? Because he’s so consistently positive. He takes great care every week to be positive with the goal of having his listeners share in his positive enthusiasm and have their days brighten.

I really admire that, and think we should all work harder to emulate that. As someone who used to be extremely negative, and sometimes cruel, several years ago I came to the conclusion that I was making myself unhappy behaving that way. So I decided to be more positive, less judgmental and less mean. I haven’t been perfect in this respect, but I have changed a lot and it’s made me much happier. I also don’t claim that this has made me less annoying- im still obnoxious, goofy and irritating. But I’m trying hard to not be negative and to “cut people down to size.”

I think we should all double down on our efforts to be that way with each other on these boards. Certain people have a negative toxic effect here. When they post, it prompts other people to post something negative or shitty in response. I’m guilty of responding this way too, and I always regret it when I do.

So when you post, please be considerate, respectful and positive (if it’s appropriate). I understand that there are negative subjects that people want to talk about- and we should. But we shouldn’t do it by trying to tear other people down- or more importantly, try to tear each other down.

Recently, several people have made personal attacks against others- used not publicly know information that they have on someone from Facebook and post it hear publicly. That’s never excusable. Moreover, a personal attack like that is never justified.

I’m not foolish enough to believe that everyone will join me in this effort. And when they don’t, here’s what I ask of everyone else— ignore them. There’s an adage that says “if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” That’s good advice, and not easy to follow. But the most infuriating response you can make to someone who’s being shifty, is to simply ignore them. It’s how I’m going to act from this point forward.

If this sounds too hippy drippy and you think I’m being dumb asking everyone to come together and be nice to each other- then you don’t belong here. These aren’t my boards and I’m not in charge of anything. This is Mikes baby. But we are a community, and if you don’t think you can be a respectful person to the community- if you don’t think you can stop from making personal attacks against others, or saying pointlessly offensive things- then leave. This isn’t your community and I won’t be participating with you any more.

A last point- if you think I’m talking to you- I am. This isn’t a communication primarily for the trolls and toxic people. This is primarily a message for all the others. I want to work with you and keep this community a reflection of the positive and amazing brand that Mike has created with his podcast. You guys are awesome and I love being a part of this community together. Let’s keep being awesome in the future.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My NPR Manifesto

Postby WillyGilligan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:12 pm

I certainly hope I'm not being toxic. It's not my intention.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:44 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:14 pm

Return to “Nerd Talk”