[Deep Thoughts] Jesus Took the Wheel

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

[Deep Thoughts] Jesus Took the Wheel

Postby Kyle » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:07 am

What is a miracle that happens every day?
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [Deep Thoughts] Jesus Took the Wheel

Postby WillyGilligan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:14 am

That today is the tomorrow that some wide-eyed doomsayer said wasn't going to happen?
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:07 pm

There are the ancient, constant miracles:
We remain only gently poisoned by our environment.
As squishy as we are, it takes a long time to die.
That we haven't eaten our young.
That accidents like bread and bourbon and electricity are discovered and remembered.
That we survive the cold and the heat and the germs and wandering monsters, and wake up.
That someone wanted shells, and someone else wanted wood, and they didn't kill each other first.
That our family or our neighbors didn't abandon us when we broke our femur or fell ill.
That none of the objects that have collided with us in space have entirely erased us.
That we can conceive of things we cannot see.

and some modern ones:
That we stop at stop lights.
That we can talk to loved ones far away because of trillions of tiny Mike TV bits of information humming around the atmosphere that are miraculously distributed and reconstituted every millisecond.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:50 pm

I like Bill.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:30 pm

I liked him before, but he certainly ramped up considerably today alone!
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:47 am

Electricity. The level of technological change required to build this utterly massive network of absolutely lethal power gets boiled down to us flicking a light switch in our home. While I may not exactly care for what Con-Edison did to the market, the sheer amount of human ingenuity displayed by that simple light switch is one of the best examples I can offer when I talk about humanism as my religion.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:59 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:25 am

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:32 am

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:16 pm

It is interesting how fast we not only get used to new technolgy but take it for granted in this era.

I was on a plane ohhh late 2008 or so and the flight attendant said they were going to turn on WIFI, a new deal for the plane and something the were tinkering with, it worked for 30 minutes before it went down and they announced it would stay down and some dude with a laptop was like "OH COME ON!" and it was like my brother you just found out this tech existed less than a hour ago haha
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:09 pm

I didn't, but when I saw the talk of electricity it made me think of this.

Honestly, even though I know how magnets work, I see how they look like magic-- how they really look like force fields. It's this crazy, actual manifestation of something that looks like real magic powers. And what do we do with that? Harness it to stick papers to our fridge.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Also store and retrieve pictures of cats.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:50 pm

The miracle of attraction. Not lust, but genuine falling-in-love-and-staying-married-for-decades attraction.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:53 pm

Plastic. Any kind of plastic anywhere. Because seriously, the ingredients that go into it and the level of work required for it should turn this into a luxury item. Instead we just put on EVERYTHING.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:12 pm

Did you guys posting these pictures actually CAUSE the whole Insane Clown Posse thing to happen in DC/FBI, and that's the true reason this thread is about weird causes and such?

Return to “Nerd Talk”