Fatal logical flaws in otherwise good movies

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Fatal logical flaws in otherwise good movies

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Give me some good examples of horrible flaws in movies that you otherwise enjoy. Especially if it pertains to physics or science and not just flaws in character motivation.

Example: Wonder Woman
Best DC movie so far. I love this movie unabashedly. It is glorious and perfect. Except... Dianna and Steve sail off the island in an ancient Greek sailing vessel. Steve has already stated the urgency of getting back to London immediately to stop Dr. Poison's plans. Dianna falls asleep. When she wakes up, they are pulling into an English harbor. Steve says something about their good fortune of getting a ride from a tugboat. Tugboat or no tugboat, they didn't get from the Aegean Sea to England by boat overnight in 1918 (or even in a week or two). It is absolutely impossible.

At the time I watched the movie, I had a twinge at that when it happened, and then Steve said the bit about the tug, and it allowed me to ignore it and go, "Oh yeah... they got a ride. No problem." But later I saw someone else mention it on the internet, and when I looked at it and thought about it, I realized it was bad writing.

It doesn't ruin anything about the movie for me. I can make up all sorts of stories in my head about how it happened, and it's really irrelevant to the story and message of the film. But it's there.

Other examples?
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Re: Fatal logical flaws in otherwise good movies

Postby poorpete » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:44 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mimekiller » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:24 pm

Star Wars original trilogy for teasing incest but not having the bravery to just go for it.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Bonefish » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Elysium. The whole thing. Manufacturing on earth and shipping UP the well is... stupid.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:57 pm

Can it be a TV show?
Reel on a repeating loop
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:01 pm

Sure.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:54 pm

How I Met Your Mother: There is no way it took YEARS to tell those kids about the mom that lived just long enough to give birth to them. There would be pictures of that woman in the house.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:17 am

There's evaporated water in the air, people talking to you drop tiny sprays of saliva contain water, the crust is mostly covered by water and it rains let's say 24 hours per week, the thought that the Wicked Witch and Stitch and especially the aliens from Signs could accomplish their goals successfully is absurd. :-)
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:49 am

akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:03 am

The Flash, season 1 finale. One character (a cop; can't remember his name) finds out that he is the ancestor of the bad guy, who time traveled to fight the Flash. The cop has no children yet. So he kills himself to make sure that he has no descendants, hence no bad guy. Then the bad guy dissipates, as he couldn't be born.

However, if the bad guy never existed, the Flash never exists either. The bad guy is the one who built the machine that will create the Flash. So if there is no bad guy, then Barry Allen never becomes the Flash. Yet the Flash continues to exist.

I really enjoyed season 1 until then. It was so dumb that I couldn't watch season 2.
Reel on a repeating loop
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:43 pm

Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:52 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:11 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:12 pm

Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:29 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:33 pm

The flaws in the Cars universe lead to some insane explanations
http://screencrush.com/where-do-pixar-cars-come-from/

More a question, in time travel movies, most of the time, travelling is hard, thus why they don't do it all the time to fix all mistakes. Are there ones that time travel is easy and they are just stupid not to use it constantly? Terminators?
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:42 pm

Slapsgiving was always funny.

"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:24 pm

buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:41 pm

I haven't seen IT yet, but this is a huge flaw, if true:

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:48 pm

He says his Chrysler seats about 20, but it'd be hard to fit beyond 6. Furthermore it's smaller than a whale, and neither whales nor cars "sail."

Return to “Nerd Talk”