Heathers

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Heathers

Postby Phoebe » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:24 am

Why did we need anything done with Heathers? It was a movie, it's done, it's a completed and finished product, and no more is needed.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Heathers

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:13 am

I hear they're also making a Mean Girls musical. Whatever.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:45 am

Another idea that worked in its original format stretched thin in another format.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:40 am

Oh man, does this mean Turkish is going to be singing "Blue" on repeat again? Because we finally got a reprieve.
Last edited by Iantha on Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:04 pm

My daughter loves the Musical though...
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:13 am

And now they're remaking Lord of the Flies with an all-female cast. As written by two white guys.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:40 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:19 am

This is one of those situations where you have a particularly unpleasant person writing a nasty book that appeals to 13 year olds, and it should be allowed to fade out and away to its timely demise. Why would we want to resurrect it? Why do we need to inflict it on girls or anyone else? Goodbye, good riddance, and yet here it is again! Ugh.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:35 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:47 am

I don't know, maybe. Wouldn't be a shock. Pretty sure there's a famous Pink Floyd song about him (lol, joking) - the sickest thing about the book is that he apparently enjoyed engaging in these little violent social experiments with his students, and then of course he's a rapist. So he's a peach all round. The book imo shows it; I found it upsetting and I really don't get why schools so often require kids to read it at that age when the world is chockablock with excellent literature that could teach them something great.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:51 am

Ewww. I just read the rape stuff, pulled from his own memoirs. Just ewwww. I didn't see anything about him being an antisemite, so I retract that. But this guy's a fucking creep.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:07 pm

Maybe because we don't always need to read about nice things? Lord of The Flies, like Animal Farm, is an excellent example of the ugliness of humanity, and it's something we see on a daily basis. Just like Of Mice and Men. It's a brutal nasty world we live in.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:23 pm

Eh. A lot of my favorite books illustrate the bad behavior of human beings without being a dumb violence-fantasy about kids from a person who enjoyed encouraging kids to behave that way and who inflicted his own violence on others. Even worse now that it's going to become some random dudes' take on what that would look like if we changed it to girls, because so edgy and non gender-conforming, whee! Can't they just sit at home and read a wrinkly paperback about sorority catfights without inflicting their shit on the world?
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:27 pm

Nah. I'm not going to write this off just because it's genderswapped and has men writing it (I'm guessing- is that the case?). I'll judge it when I see it, or it will look so awful that I'll not watch it.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:32 pm

Nothing wrong with gender swapping a story and having men write for women. Nothing whatsoever wrong with that. But doing it to a story that's already bad and then saying dumb things about it? Nah, pass. Tell me if it's good and I'll be happy to be surprised later.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:39 pm

No way. I'm not making a commitment to take one for the team on this one.

I know! Let's have Mikey watch it! He'll watch anything!
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:41 pm

I just realized I completely botched my Life cereal joke.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:18 pm

As one who is painfully and intimately familiar with that reference, I totally got it, and I thought it was funny.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:21 pm

A accurate female lord of the flies would be 20 minutes long and they would all kill each other on the beach.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:07 am

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.

Return to “Nerd Talk”