Fake GenCon badges!?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

Fake GenCon badges!?

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:56 am

How dare they!

I was just reading a bit from a woman whose boyfriend's family wants to copy their badges. Not because GC is sold out this year, but because they've done it before. SOP for them. Her and boyfriend agreed they wouldn't let them do it this year but then later finds out he's already promised to send them a scanned copy after he gets it from Will Call. From his, they'll forge up a dozen or so badges to get family and friends in and even made a social media announcement that they have free GenCon passes for anyone who needs them.

Fuck these people.

The woman in question has now broken up with the guy and is sending copies of correspondence to GenCon so they can handle it however they see fit. But seriously... fuck these people.

Part of this is on GenCon, because there's no real security features on their badges, and they are super easy to copy. But still...
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Fake GenCon badges!?

Postby Cazmonster » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:41 am

Yeah, if point is security, they've failed.

The point right now is money, and these people just proved that the badges are basically worthless. I feel like somebody needs to be taken behind a woodshed, I'm just not sure who.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Fake GenCon badges!?

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:26 pm

Lack of real badge means lack of ability to buy any tickets to any events. And for the most part, people with real badges can only buy one extra to each thing. So there's huge chunks of the Con that fakers will not be able to experience, but there's still more stuff to experience than four days allows even without tickets.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.

Return to “Nerd Talk”