What movie should Aidan and I watch?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What movie should Mike and Aidan watch?

48 Hours (Hulu/Amazon Prime)
8%
Adventures in Babysitting (Netflix)
8%
American Werewolf in London (Netflix/Amazon Prime)
23%
Better Off Dead (YouTube)
8%
Coming to America (Hulu)
8%
Karate Kid (Hulu/Crackle)
8%
Money Pit (Netflix)
No votes
St. Elmo's Fire (Hulu)
8%
Top Gun (Hulu)
31%
Weekend at Bernies (Crackle)
No votes

Total votes: 13
Mike
Boy of Summer

What movie should Aidan and I watch?

Postby Mike » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:40 pm

Aidan and I are going to test run a new long-form segment for the podcast tentatively titled, Well... THAT Didn't Hold Up. Before the episode, we will watch a movie from the 80's that I loved at the time, but that I suspect may not hold up for a new generation. Then we'll discuss the movie. Hopefully, whenever we want to do one of these, we'll announce the movie ahead of time for anyone who wants to watch and play along.

So based on what's available on streaming, which of the following movies do you think we should watch for the inaugural run of this segment?
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What movie should Aidan and I watch?

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Is this a trick question?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:18 pm

No.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:54 pm

I'm fairly certain that most of these won't hold up, but I still LOVE Coming To America and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Also Trading Places.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:03 am

I really want Aidan's opinion of American Werewolf. I love that movie.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:01 am

Aha! Now I see there are voting options that probably didn't load for me before. St. Elmo and Top Gun sucked in their days so I guess they still do. And Trading Places and 48 hours are still going to be good regardless. Has Aidan seen all of these? If not some (e.g. wax on wax off) are basic required cultural knowledge. I too am curious how American Werewolf holds up.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:09 am

I think that as an inaugural installment- you gotta go Top Gun because you know it's not going to hold up. The problem with Werewolf is that it's going to hold up, which is fine the third time you do this- but not the first. You need a sure fire fail and you know you can't go wrong with Top Gun. Now, take me to bed or lose me forever, honey!
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Kyle makes sense, as he often does.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:16 pm

It is decided!

At the end of the recording, Top Gun was the #1 pick AND Kyle makes a lot of sense.

We will be watching Top Gun! (Available on Hulu+ and Epix if you have subscriptions to either of those. Or $2.99 rental from Amazon, Vudu, iTunes, PlayStation, and Google Play)
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:21 pm

Karate Kid. The best story about fighting back against the bully, known as Daniel Russo, who terrorizes a town, stalks a young woman, and then proceeds to confuse and take advantage of a delusional old man.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:00 pm

I feel everyone needs to know what that is, even if it's terrible in some abstract analysis.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:08 pm

The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:53 am

Sound theory...
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:22 am

Well, from an outfit that put out that crazy bullshit, I didn't quite expect this clear demonstration of truth:
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:51 pm

I have been waiting eagerly to hear if you went on to any of the others on the list. Wellll?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:27 am

We will review Top Gun on this week's podcast, and then we will pick another for next month.

Return to “Nerd Talk”