[Movie] Wonder Woman *SPOILERS*

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

[Movie] Wonder Woman *SPOILERS*

Postby Kyle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:21 pm

I know we've briefly talked about this in the general thread. But I want to have a totally spoiler conversation about the movie- WHICH I LOVED. So if you haven't seen it and don't want spoilers, then leave this thread now.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: [Movie] Wonder Woman *SPOILERS*

Postby Kyle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:22 pm

Okay- how awesome was it that throughout the movie, men (and some of the women) would tell WW to stay put and then she'd just ignore them and do what she knew was right anyways. Although a small part of the movie- this symbolized the entire attitude of this film and is one of the reasons I found it so delightful.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:32 am

Amen, that spirit was pervasive in the movie, built up in lots of little moments. WW always has total agency, which is thrilling to watch because there are times when you feel you would be restricted not just physically (ok, I can't stop bullets) but also psychologically or socially in a way she just bursts through without a second thought. It's not just that she prevails over limiting bullshit - it's that she walks through it like it's not even there. It was never even there for her. This is one of the things I liked most about WW when I was young and even if this movie had sucked in other ways, which luckily it did not, just getting this part right would make it all worthwhile. They did it, and did it superlatively.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:23 am

That's a good point. The movie takes place a century ago, and it highlights all the sexist and restrictive horrible aspects of the era. And yet no part of this movie was about Diana having to overcome all of that bullshit, because it simply didn't apply to her.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 am

Also - THIS

https://twitter.com/philsadelphia/statu ... 5622414336

I didn't know you could do that with a cello.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:26 pm

Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:03 pm

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin

Return to “Nerd Talk”