Checking electronics at night?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Checking electronics at night?

Postby Kyle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm fascinated by the people (my kids do this) who MUST check their phone if they get a text message in the middle of the night- no matter the time. This is crazy to me. While I charge my phone next to my bed, I have it set on Do Not Disturb from 10 pm to 8 am. But then I started talking to people at work and found out that I"m in the minority. MOST people check their phone in the middle of the night.

This baffles me. Someone explain this phenomenon to me.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Checking electronics at night?

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Don't know. Sleep time is non-phone time for me.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:25 pm

Before my kids started driving, I would charge my phone in another room, so I couldn't even check it. Now I leave it next to the bed because they can stay out till midnight.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby WillyGilligan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:11 pm

I occasionally get recalled or have to respond to things in the middle of the night. Outside of work, I could only imagine having the "is someone dead?" anxiety to explain why people look at the texts.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:55 pm

My kids are too young to be out anywhere when I'm sleeping, so I totally ignore the cell phone unless I'm awake. I assume my parents would phone the house phone and not text in an emergency.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:45 am

It occurs to me now that I don't actually silence my phone or put it in sleep mode at night. It charges on the headboard, so it's right by my head all night. All my texts come through FB Messenger, and after the first one of those dings that I don't answer, it stops making noise. If the phone rang, I would certainly answer it, but I can't remember the last time the phone rang between 11pm and 6am.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:51 am

I'll check my phone if it rings no matter what. If it's messages, my brain hears the first "ding", registers that someone is messaging me, then promptly goes back to sleep and ignores the rest of the message sounds. But if that ringer goes off, I'm up for at least 2 hours. We don't have a house phone so if it's an emergency they call my cell no matter the hour.

Return to “Nerd Talk”