Washer recommendations

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Washer recommendations

Postby Iantha » Fri May 12, 2017 8:56 am

My washer is dying - I can only do 1/4 loads and even then it's questionable if it will get through it. I've saved my pennies and am ready to purchase a new one, budget of $1000 or less. I like the look and idea of the front loaders because of the water savings and the more quiet run, but I've heard that they tend to leak from the front gasket. I need a high-capacity washer because we have lots of blankets and pets that like to sleep on said blankets. Also, Paul goes through laundry like whoah.

So, what should I get? What should I avoid?
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Re: Washer recommendations

Postby Tahlvin » Fri May 12, 2017 11:06 am

We have a front-load washer, and we love it. We haven't had any problems with the front gasket leaking. We did have to have part of the motor replaced, but it was under warranty. At the time we purchased it, I think there were concerns about mold problems with front loading washers, so we usually leave the door ajar between loads to let it air out, and haven't had any mold problems at all. Ours is a Kenmore Elite. Although I'm not sure what's happening to that brand when Sears goes bankrupt in the near future, I believe it's just a different name plate of another name brand washer, like Maytag or Whirlpool.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Fri May 12, 2017 12:06 pm

That's good to hear about the leaking; it seems to be a not-infrequent complaint, but I am short and so I am kind of leaning towards the front-loaders for large capacity. The top-load large capacity tend to be very deep and it's a little difficult for me to reach to the bottom.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri May 12, 2017 1:20 pm

I LOVE my front-loading washer so much. It's a Samsung and I have had zero problems with it, although something must be broken in the "filter" area because occasionally I try to change the filter and make a big mess. However, it's very old and I inherited it used, so it's terrific! Lots of options for washing, does it all very well, fits lots of laundry in, and it comes in attractive colors as well. I did NOT like my Whirlpool top-loader washer, which began having serious problems in the first 5 or so years after purchase. I was told that before I bought that unit, they started making all their Whirlpool stuff in China and the quality went down. How much of that is nativist speculation and how much is real I cannot say, but I did NOT like that Whirlpool washer. I had terrific luck with the Maytag purchased in about 1972, but I doubt they make those like they used to. It was a block of solid steel and porcelain that could not be lifted out of the basement at one point and therefore is probably still sitting where we left it, doing laundries, nearly 50 years after its birth.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Wed May 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Well, the maiden laundry load has taken place and I am rather impressed with the new, shiny, far-too-advanced washer.
First of all, it has far more controls than I expected. Like, really. It took the normal length of wash, temperature settings, and timer and made it look far more complicated than it actually has to be.
It did a great job washing everything with not a lot of water and I was even more impressed by the spin cycle. I ran a very large load and my clothes came out much more wrung than the old washer, which means it's probably going to save me energy on the drying as well.
It's also a very large capacity washer - commercial size with no central agitator so I can actually do all of the bedclothes for a king-size bed in one load. I ran a half load and, when I put it all in the dryer, I realized that I actually was at capacity, if not past, for the dryer. So I split it into two drying loads.
The only real problem I have with this washer, and upon proper consideration is probably going to be kind of a big deal in the long run, is that I can't reach the bottom to pull clothes out. No, really. I couldn't just really stretch to reach down there. I had to actually climb up on top of the washer and lean into it to get the clothes out. I don't have a step stool but this is going to be something I acquire soon, otherwise Paul and his long arms are going to be helping me unload a lot of laundry in the future.
So, in summary, I love my new washer and highly recommend this one to anyone who has large-capacity washing needs. However, maybe not if you happen to be under 5'4", like myself.
Attachments
18527827_10154365163165064_2032209046727262861_n.jpg
18527827_10154365163165064_2032209046727262861_n.jpg (44.35 KiB) Viewed 132 times
18527812_10154365163000064_2972909150649820686_n.jpg
18527812_10154365163000064_2972909150649820686_n.jpg (35.72 KiB) Viewed 132 times
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue May 23, 2017 11:00 am

Ooooh, I admire it. Hopefully it will last forever like the last Maytag I knew did. My grandma also bought a Maytag washer in about 1990 which lasted indefinitely - it was still going in 2015 when I last saw it.

Return to “Nerd Talk”