Phone and Internet Privacy

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Phone and Internet Privacy

Postby Phoebe » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:38 am

So, need phone help. Somehow on my phone there is information stored so that when I turn it on and unlock it and scroll my notifications, thus clearing them, a message is sent to one of the Wayfair family of home furnishing companies, and they then immediately send me a new email advertising whatever thing I have most recently looked at on my web browser related to Home Furnishings. I take it this is to ensure that it comes up fresh and new in your notifications without being lost in the other spam, right when they know you're looking at your phone.

Well, this pisses me off on principle, so how would people suggest getting rid of it? I would also like to know what basic measures if any can be taken to create privacy in your browsing. How do I know that the Privacy-generating company isn't just saving or selling or turning over that information themselves? How do I know that my internet service provider or phone company isn't gathering all that information prior to any privacy measures I might take?

Meanwhile I'm quite certain that the TV in my bedroom and the Xbox on the other TV are spying on us to their hearts content and there's not a goddamn thing we can do about it save getting rid of them. But if those are things they want to see I just feel sorry for the person on the other end who has to deal with it.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Re: Phone and Internet Privacy

Postby Phoebe » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:10 am

Another privacy/functioning issue that annoys the crap out of me: when my gps-challenged phone decides that the place where I actually live is another separately named place you could visit, and then sends me messed up, repackaged versions of my photos entitled stupid things like "Sunday afternoon at McDonald's" or "Last Winter at Washington Heights School". No.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:55 am

I forgot you lived right next to McDonalds.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:04 pm

It's super handy. I just walk thru the drive thru in my PJs.

Return to “Nerd Talk”