[SC] Cephalopod Self-Editing

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[SC] Cephalopod Self-Editing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:09 pm

creating possibilities for swift adaptation or even learning transmission. How can you not just love them? They're so amazing and unique.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: [SC] Cephalopod Self-Editing

Postby Kyle » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:26 pm

I haven't read this article, but have seen others talking about it (and I plan to read it later). But does anyone else feel like the cephalopods are alien byproduct or something?
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:34 pm

I thought this was really interesting. Because the tentacled folk can change their RNA in part 'on demand' they have to keep their DNA more stable. Historically, this looks like it is paying off for them.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:55 pm

You are correct, Caz. As oceans acidify and the habitat is becoming more difficult for many species, many cephalopods are thriving and their numbers are increasing rapidly. A few articles that I had read had theories, but none seemed to be too viable. This may play a large part in why they have been able to not only adapt but thrive in a rapidly changing environment.

Return to “Nerd Talk”