Jamaican Jerk

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Jamaican Jerk

Postby Kyle » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:23 am

Guys- I've done it. I've perfected my Jamaican Jerk rub. This is for two whole chickens:

2 Tbsp Allspice
2 Tbsp Dried Thyme
2 Tbsp Chipotle Powder
2 Tbsp Chili Powder
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Salt

Mix all spices together (I put them in a disposable tupperware with a good lid and shake vigorously).

Preferably the morning you are going to cook them, but at least an hour before cooking, generously rub the surfaces of the chickens with the rub. If you really want to, you can rub it up under the skin, but I'm too lazy for that.

At a minimum, roast them on a foil lined baking sheet. But if you want a complete meal, rough chop some potatoes and carrots (or whatever hearty vegetable you want), mix together with some olive oil and salt, and place the vegetables in a deep sided baking dish. Cover the dish with a wire rack, and cook the chickens on the rack. This way the fat from the chicken drips with the spices onto the veggies and essentially fries them while they roast. SO GOOD.

I cook my chickens on the "convection roast" setting for 15 minutes at 400 and then 45 minutes at 355. Depending on the size of the chickens, you may want to add another 10-15 minutes of roasting time. Also remember to let the chickens cool on the rack for 30 minutes or so, so you don't: (1) burn yourself tearing it down (which I always do); and (2) loose all the juices to the chicken.

These drop a lot of fat, which will spatter and make your oven a wreck-- that's okay, this is what ovens are for.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Jamaican Jerk

Postby Phoebe » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:05 pm

I am definitely going to try that. I recently discovered that the Penzey's spice company is worthy of one's purchasing power, and so I have purchased powerfully many of the above spices from them. And I happen to have two packages of chicken in the fridge right now!
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:22 am

Let me know your thoughts on the rub.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:09 am

I'm making a half recipe of it. BTW my oven has a shallow but edged pan at the bottom which prevents a lot of spatter issues and thus prevents oven cleaning problems.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:21 pm

Did this and it was delicious! If you substituted some hot sauce or maybe a little cumin for the sugar, imo it would be even better, but it's also fine like it is.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:02 pm

The sugar is necessary to carmalize the skin. I think I'll try adding some cumin.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:57 pm

Do you think it would work with honey? I'm thinking we need to do this as a pre-grilling marinade, with chicken tenders. Serve with a little tossed mixture of black beans, tomato, and avocado, or maybe some sweet corn plus one of those cucumber-tomato salads.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:47 am

Maybe- I'm not sure how honey might affect the effectiveness of the dry rub, though.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:50 am

Oh yeah, you're obviously right about that. Sugar it is, but I might play with those proportions a little bit because I don't like the sweet chicken unless it's being tempered by something like lime OHHHHHHH. There it is. You just need a little lime wedge to spritz on it after grilling!! And with that you have achieved perfection at least for my taste buds.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:45 pm

Something i usually do, but didn't think to this last time, is to buy a couple of lemons, cut them in quarters, drizzle the juice on the chicken before putting the rub on, and then stuffing the chickens with the lemons.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:30 pm

We'll have to try this soon. Paul and I do smoked beast on a fairly regular basis and I think that this spice blend would be amazing on smoked chicken or a good pork roast.

Return to “Nerd Talk”