What would you do?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What would you do?

Postby Phoebe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:19 pm

Suppose your (nurse, teacher, child's friend's parent, boss, employee) is deported and leaves behind kids who are U.S. citizens and stay here legally. But they are under 18, without relatives to help them here, and would need support and local parents for some years. Would you adopt/serve as temporary guardian of a kid in this situation? Do you know anyone who is doing this now or planning to, just in case?
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Re: What would you do?

Postby Eliahad » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:49 pm

Yes, absolutely, in an instant.

No. I don't know anyone going through this.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:44 am

I would give it serious consideration.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:56 am

This is a tough one for me. My husband has a more realistic grasp of life and so for him it's not even a question, for us to consider taking on the slightest additional thing.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:57 am

I would be tempted by my house probably wouldn't be a good environment.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:04 pm

"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Probably the people running around in risque Sailor Moon costumes.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:20 pm

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:04 pm

Yes, and can you send the address again? For a... story I'm working on.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:09 pm

Reel on a repeating loop
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:50 pm

I do not know anyone in this position. However, in the past, my wife and I have several times had conversations about what we would need to do if we had a chance to take in children in need that we know/knew. It has never come to pass that our services were needed (or even close to it), but we've had those discussions.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:00 pm

We are having that discussion and the answer is probably no. Maybe if our kids were older, parents were younger, or jobs were more normal. However, I can see that answer changing if specific new circumstances arise, since eventually some moral line could appear that isn't there for us now. I'm finding it hard to live like "make your corner of the world ok and pay some other people to fix another corner" is an adequate way to live. But also struggling with a lot of other stuff that interferes.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:08 pm

Exactly. The answer changes for each era of life and each particular kid who might be in need. A behaviorally troubled 11-year-old back when we had three kids under 10? Not a great idea. Now that our youngest is 11 and two of the kids are out of high school, there's more that we could do. There have been times we've thought we could and times we've known it wouldn't be a good fit.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:09 pm

Our youngest is to a point where the wife and I are starting to think about what we want to do when the nest is empty. In 5 years he'll be off to college, and 9 years (hopefully) he'll be completely out of the house. Taking in a well-behaved kid whose on the same timeline would probably be something we'd seriously consider. Taking in a much younger kid, or someone with behavioral issues, or multiple kids, might not be something we'd be willing to do, though we would be willing to provide some support to whoever does take them in.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:28 pm

No question, absolutely.
Also, if you have a crisis you can't manage, come live with me, or send them to live with me. End of statement.

Yes, I absolutely have students in this exact circumstance. Fortunately NY is somewhat more secure than other places, so far, at least. See above.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:19 pm

El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:42 pm

Phoebe, it's time to give it up. You're still not getting my firstborn. There will never be a firstborn.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:03 am

If I could, sure. I am in no position to do that, however.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:12 pm

I feel positive that my wife and I would if we knew someone in this circumstance. Of course, Urbana, IL is a "sanctuary city" (or at least I heard they were planning to do that, last I heard...) so I doubt we will run into any issues with that in this neck of the woods...
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin

Return to “Nerd Talk”