Voting

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stan
Ninja Carpenter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Voting

Postby Stan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:37 am

The wife and I voted around 7:45. Higher turnout than usual but the election staff is well organized and the wait was 10 minutes. Everything smooth and quick. The state uses scantrons bubbled in with black pens that voters feed into a machine themselves - electronic count, paper backup.

Trump is likely to win Indiana but my area looked Hillary heavy. Polls had predicted a Democratic flip in governor and senator (Evan Bayh has good name recognition locally) but we'll see. This election could largely end Pence's career if Trump loses and his governor surrogate loses.

Standard local school funding stuff on the ballot. Oddly, there is an initiative to make hunting a state constitutionally protected right. I wonder how much that is an effort to get a segment of people to show up and vote, just like same sex marriage and marijuana proposals.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Re: Voting

Postby Stan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:13 pm

Forgot to add, the wife's coworker got 2 texts in the last week falsely telling her that her voting location had changed. How are practices like this not a serious crime? I feel like the stories about voter fraud (which is hugely impractical enact on large enough level to matter) are just distraction created to keep eyes away from voter misinformation and voter suppression.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:03 pm

Glad you voted!

No irregularities in my smalltown NY village. Saw a lot of church members, one who noted that "i guess the rector's sermon must've worked!" Her sermon was against divisiveness. The church is doing an all-day prayer event and if I had time I'd go.

Spent a bit of time watching the Susan B. Anthony gravesite webcam on Facebook. It was the most inspiring thing I saw today. Made me tear up multiple times at work, and think of our collective humanity and community. I hope that stays with me and us well past today.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:07 pm

Barb and I voted around 08:30. All the booths had voters. It was a great feeling.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:36 pm

:cheers:
Oh, the Susan B video cam still goin. Guy has been out there with his phone since 7am. Over 7000 have visited so far.
https://www.facebook.com/News8WROC/

Return to “Nerd Talk”