Alternate Names for Everyday Items

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Alternate Names for Everyday Items

Postby Iantha » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:52 am

Do you have alternate names for everyday items? For example, Paul and I call funnels "Big-to-smallinators".
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: Alternate Names for Everyday Items

Postby Kyle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:07 pm

Hmmm. I know we do. Kind of related: when you google something, that's called "Searching it up." Closing a program on a computer is "Xing it out."

All sodas are called cokes (but that's cause I'm from Texas).
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Iantha » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:54 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Same.

I often call the palette/roof of mouth my moof, but by often I mean when it comes up in conversation, like once a year.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:55 pm

My wife and I used to have funny misspellings/mispronunciations for everything that went on our shopping list on the fridge. I'm sure it started as an honest mistake and then both of us just ran with it. We stopped doing it when Jacob started learning to talk. As funny as it was to us, we just imagined him learning gross mispronunciations for everything in the grocery store.

I wish I could remember any of those now. It's been over 20 years. Like, I'm sure we did "pasketti", but I honestly don't remember for sure. It was dumb stuff like that.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:49 pm

We call McDonald's Sausage McMuffin sandwiches "Muzzy Burgers." It started because we make our own version at home using Johnsonville bratwurst patties, which have a nice, spicy taste to them. And "bratwurst" is a nice German-sounding word. When the kids were young, we had some of the Muzzy videotapes to help them learn some German. So rather than calling them bratwurst muffins, we started calling them "Muzzy burgers" instead, to help get the kids to eat them. And it's just been the family term for them ever since.

Also on the food front, it's a good thing my parents taught us how to order eggs "over easy." Otherwise, the first time I tried to order them at a restaurant, I would have tried to order "dippy eggs," since that's what they always called them at home.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:51 pm

I'm not sure this counts, but we had an epidemic of our kids (and one of the parents) saying "that's what she said," which was obnoxious but lead to some inappropriate incidents around other families. So we banned the phrase from ever being used, which led to the kids substituting a hard blink between each other instead of saying it.

So Kid 1 will fail at something on a videogame and say, "Damn. That was hard." Behind his back, Kids 2 and 3 will exchange a hard blink and laugh.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:38 pm

The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:20 am

Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:23 am

Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:25 am

El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:07 am

Yup, we said "Let's have Poor Man's" frequently.

If a specific one of the moms cooked that well-done steak? You're damn right. Because it would be fucking shoe leather. Also...well-done is disgusting.

While I'm not as bad as I was previously, my childhood pretty much consisted of a variation on Frank's Red Hot commercials: "Ketchup. I put that shit on everything. Because Hot Sauce is nasty."
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Nadia Jaen
Pastry Artisan

Postby Nadia Jaen » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:32 pm

Floss picks are called floss monkeys.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:37 pm

Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:20 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:23 am

I think they started saying it because that's what I call em.

:innocent:
Nadia Jaen
Pastry Artisan

Postby Nadia Jaen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:50 am

Nadia Jaen
Pastry Artisan

Postby Nadia Jaen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:52 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Exactly. Floss Monkeys is the perfect name for them because they're like little super Nimble things that crawl around your teeth to get all the plaque off.
Walrus
Bicycle Repairman

Postby Walrus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:07 am

My kid sister used to talk about 'Flutterbies' regularly during .... I'd say during summer but it was always summer by comparison to here.

you have to picture it in a lilting, sing-song falling cadence, 3 sylables Flut-ter-byes
I'm fluent in 4 languages, know a little in 2 others, but all I speak is sarcasm. :sarcasm:

Return to “Nerd Babble”