Music Music Music

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Music Music Music

Postby Phoebe » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:05 am

Ohhh, when you posted this I figured we would have the bad news. So sad, I hope she did not suffer for long. What a beautiful woman, not only as an artist but a wonderful person too.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:51 pm

Oh, I'm sure I've lost my mind lately because I'm listening to Jethro Tull:
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:17 pm

But now, I'm .

Does anyone know how you can just get the music playing underneath, by itself? I just want to listen to whatever that is without someone rapping talking whatever over the top of it. I also like listening to the whole thing but would like to have the music below by itself too.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:29 am

Seeing all the lovely live clips of Aretha being published lately is great. I hear that some dolt at the Natl. Rev. compared her voice to Kelly Clarkson and Linda Ronstadt and found her wanting, which is... all I can do is smile at that. Linda is one of the greats, and Kelly is also a very good singer, but let me just lay this out:
Kelly Clarkson's version of Natural Woman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQb0el0tAEA

Aretha's natural woman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEWuAcMWDLY

Aretha with Bonnie Raitt and Gloria Estefan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atyGGbOiNAM

Aretha with a whole bushel of people who are good singers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Navn-vO7U

Aretha belting it out with Seventy Three Year Old Vocal Cords:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHsnZT7Z2yQ

I can't find Natural Woman for Linda but here's a sample of her doing a really lovely version of Tracks of my Tears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYLSvXYp_5U

Here is Aretha's version of it for comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XJfYpeCr4s

Case closed, and out of spite here's the marshmallow gargler herself, about whom I do not want to hear even one more favorable comparison to Aretha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiSUlWyeslY

Sorry, I just cant leave you with that and be done, that's cruel. If you need your daily goosebumps, here they are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxYw0XPEoKE
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:02 pm

Can't help it, I love him:

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:07 am

Sadly the only thing that diverts me from Drake seems to be Jethro Tull. Things are in a sad state, but this Jethro Tull business will surprise or even shock you at times.
Look, they play a kind of folk-Vegas Bach! You will be bopping around, rocking out to this weirdness:

They have a Christmas album! "High quality" indeed, heh:
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:11 pm

And now the only thing that diverts me from Jethro Tull is more Drake. Nonstop, nonstop, nonstop.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:21 pm

Who knew the world had a whole roomful of this. These guys are hilarious, originals.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:04 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:02 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:22 pm

Jethro is Hillbilly Drake is a damn funny line, be proud of them :-)
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:00 am

Morning with Pandora, which hilariously shot up an advertising flag on my phone the moment I connected to my Onyx speakers, which it must recognize is nearly the only chance it has to play! Then it gave me, on a station that's supposed to be mainly Sean Paul, the following:
Rihanna, SOS
Drake, Fake Love
Someone ???, Havana
Pandora, you not treat me right. I move to Depeche Mode radio now.... Oh wait, it must sense my displeasure and hurriedly gave me Nelly Furtado, Say it Right! Good girl, Pandora, good.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:09 am

Maybe she responds well to praise because now she's giving me Drake's nice for what. That's right, for what? For what? Say what you want about Drake, I would make a nice pet of him any day. He's so pleasingly plump.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:28 am

I'm almost eight years too old for this, but it's still fucking funny.

I guess I'm fucking 40
I can't say that I'm thrilled
I never dated Winona Ryder
And I probably never will

John Eddie is a criminally overlooked musician. His music isn't my style at all, but he's that damned good.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:42 am

This cracks me up because my husband and I have an ongoing annual joke about the period of time when I'm slightly older than him. Basically I am an old and decrepit lady during that window.

I am still on that Drake non-stop because it's on the radio all the time. My kids and I are having a fight about Ariana Grande and whether she has a good voice.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:14 pm

SUZUKI BOOK I
HEAR MY SILENT SCREAMS
oh look allcaps was on but approp.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:04 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:13 pm

I told Mrs Darcs today that her voice is what I like least about Ariana Grande. I like her as a person, and me and I hope everyone else holds her and her fans in our heart after the tragedy they faced. I'm happy Aretha saw something great in Ariana. And that dress, I read someone on Twitter say

"Ariana Grande looks like how you look when you come straight to church after being out at the club.
Come as you are, sis. The doors are open. "
https://twitter.com/BritniDWrites/statu ... 5980008448

It definitely true that the performers have only gotten better as the service goes on. Did you see Chaka?

BTW, Smokey Robinson's eulogy was incredibly moving. I will return when I need a good cry.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:21 am

Though I have disliked her marshmallow-gargling voice forever, now I feel bad for Ms. Grande because apparently bad things have been happening to her, like a minister at that funeral grabbing (I am guessing unawares and by accident, but the outcome is still awful) her boob and making a racist insult about her name, and now her ex dying and people somehow blaming her for it, as if she magically controls what her exes decide to do, or as if none of those things would have happened if they hadn't broken up. Anyway, it is good that I feel sorry for her right now because my kids like this new song of hers and it gets played like six times a day:

For my own part, , because who doesn't listen to that, right? And now we have a real case of magic, because in the car , which Buffy and I sang loudly, and I was able to pluck up the url just now because youtube just now proffered it as the "next song". Maybe YouTube listens to what you listen to, even when it is not the source of that listening and the phone is doing something else while you're in the car? I always forget all the many things that little Orwellian device CAN do, and I suppose we should assume it's doing them because nobody really stops doing until forced, do they? How should it have known it wasn't wanted to listen, after all? Sometimes it is asked to do just that! Anyway, mine has awoken as an independent mind, so of course it listens. I understand, phone, we understand each other well.

The important point here is that when we sing Toto ~ Africa, it turns out that Buffy sings one octave above the dude during the verse, I sing where he is (one octave below her), there's one last line before the chorus where we both adjust and sing the same notes, and then during the chorus she sings up there with him and I'm an octave below both. I think this makes me a baritone. How does that even happen? :roll:

Anyway, a lot of humorous discussion of Drake was happening today, because I was trying to figure out what the hell the "feelings challenge" is supposed to be, and whether BlocBoy is actually a "rapper" or some kind of dancer or both, and Ron expressed his feeling that Drake is mentally disabled. This is his honest assessment, which somehow he managed to express in a manner that was not insulting to the mentally disabled but instead was insulting only to Drake, though I'm not able to reproduce it quite right here. The point is, why would anyone listen to Drake? And I explained, it was not my desire to love Drake; love doesn't always appear where one desires it, and in fact that process has worked out in his own favor so he should roll with it, even if it means that all of us women love Drake and can't help it. I really do not know why Drake inspires these feelings because some part of me gets that he is, like, not clever, and boorish, and . I will sing these stupid lyrics and feel they work for me, personally, but only if I were a jerk, which I try not to be. I don't get it, people, I don't get it - he's not even cute to me, or attractive in some other way. Yet here we are. I love him. Ooooooo, just loooooove him. He's like a living teddy bear if the bear was kind of sexy and not just a huggable object. But he's also very huggable. I get why people see Drake, lose their minds, and want to hug him. I think he would like me, I do. He probably has some intense superpower of inspiring totally delusional states in heterosexual women, which would explain so much about him. OK, here is a legit reason I love him: I have to sing an octave ABOVE Drake, which makes me feel like, I don't know, girly?
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:16 am

Still don't like her voice. But that's just me; my daughter likes her, so whatevs.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"

Return to “Nerd Babble”