Music Music Music

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Re: Music Music Music

Postby poorpete » Fri May 04, 2018 3:27 pm

After, I dunno, 5 listens so far, I've come around that this is a very good album. Pretty sure all the verses on here are great. Some of the choruses don't quite hit yet (screwed and crazy classic life come to mind). Of the non-singles, so far this one has stood out for me, it's pretty great i think:
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ronster » Wed May 09, 2018 9:27 am

...we'll bleed and fight for you, we'll make it right for you
If we lay a strong enough foundation, we'll pass it on to you,
we'll give the world to you and you'll blow us all away....
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
akiva
Melancholy Camper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby akiva » Wed May 09, 2018 10:27 am

What never happened seems to last

Reel on a repeating loop
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Wed May 23, 2018 7:15 am

I wanna be your Joey Ramone

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed May 23, 2018 3:10 pm

I love how that cuts off right after Joey so it's like, I want to be your baby kangaroo. Yeah, I want that too. <3

Pete has sent me off to the Chaka Khan and I don't plan to return soon.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Thu May 24, 2018 8:32 am

'Cause broken people
Can get better if they really want to
Or at least that's what I have to tell myself if I'm hoping to survive

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu May 24, 2018 3:37 pm

Mix of the sad and the uplifting there - I didn't expect to like it after the opening portion, but it grows on you.

I must have mental issues lately because today I have been listening to Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: Helpless and Judy Blue Eyes. I did not know that the song was called Judy Blue Eyes, and figured it was kind of a shitty thing to say to your girlfriend. Maybe it is, but anyway, I now am given to understand he actually liked the girlfriend, who was Judy Collins, and the whole thing is a tribute to her intended to be nice. It was the whole "you are what you are" thing that made it seem a little rude, you know? Like, yeah, I love you, but you're a goat who is making life difficult and there's only so much we can do given that you're that type of goat. That was my impression.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu May 24, 2018 3:46 pm

Sounds like he's head-over-heels and she's not quite.

One of my fav "epic" songs.
And Suite: Judy Blue Eyes is a good pun, "Sweet" and "Suite". And putting on some Roches after CSN would be apt.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri May 25, 2018 12:40 pm

Pretty much, yep. It's kind of the reverse-flip from what I had initially thought. This whole Stills-Collins things is a bit of a rabbithole when one is trying to work. A whole raft of songs have taken on a new meaning, like Houses (cool live version: ) and Send in the Clowns (apparently Houses is the B-side of Send in the Clowns, which seems to be a very deliberate choice and SO SAD!). I also discovered that this is not a Judy Collins OR Joan Baez song (as I thought) but is a Rolling Stones song, ha!

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed May 30, 2018 11:36 pm

I was watching this sudden gift to the world, unaware that my reflection was visible in the screen, and I was at a weird angle so my eyes were close to hers, so for some time I thought it was simply an effect in the video! Then I thought... wow, her eyes look a lot like mine. OH!

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu May 31, 2018 6:28 am

Apparently while floating through the abyss opened by the current state of the Union, the people wanted more clashes among rap stars, and so we have Drake's public shaming. All of this is weird. My kids loathe every scrap of Drake's music and the mere sound of his voice sends them into paroxysms of "change the station!", and maybe that's telling me something my ears finally need to hear. No matter; I didn't love Drake for his quality character as a man, but for his mellifluous rumbling noises what soothe the soul. He even has terrible lyrics; we know this. But I wake up and passionfruit is already floating through at a low background level. Nice for what? I love him even if he's a stupid jerk.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu May 31, 2018 9:36 am

Let me just spare you the efforts: at 2:53 Cardi enters this song and she leaves it again at 3:24. There. Now until some kind soul makes a looping version of nothing but her verse and the rest of the song cut out - and by the way does anybody know some really good software or apps for music recording and editing or video editing? - now you can avoid doing what I had to do. Please don't do what I did and watch this stupid video. I'm sure these people think they're being celebratory of all the girls, in their pale imitation of a Drake video, but instead it just makes you feel gross. Not to mention dizzy. At the end they're all standing around looking to each other and you're like, what are they going to do now? Are they going to descend on these idiots like the Bacchae and at the very least slap them around a bit for revenge? But no. Just a so-so Cardi verse (enough for me, speaks to me like everything she does except I think she says carats where I mean carrots, though I'm not going to turn down a white porsche). We ignore the Dionysian impulse at our own peril.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu May 31, 2018 9:45 am

I know, I know, people don't think Cardi B is the genius I think she is, but upon verification it turns out that she indeed used the word fugazi to describe her man's other inferior options. Did someone else write it? I don't care!!! Even a so-so verse from her is the whole song by itself. Granted people like Maroon 5 and G-eazy make it nearly inevitable...
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu May 31, 2018 4:47 pm

The March of the Winkies from the Wizard of Oz. I'm working on a song and part of it was so much like this... now I can't get rid of it!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:45 am

For some reason the accompaniment to Work Work Work today is Fleetwood Mac. I hate it when this happens. I am forced to acknowledge the quality. Normally I just get things done by listening to Rush and suspending self-judgment. This dude is staving off the abyss with every note; it gives a person strength when you need to write 45095439687 words of nonsense:

akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:18 pm

A friend recommended this recently, and wow! It's astonishing.

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:06 pm

Sounds interesting, will have to check that out! The fleetwood mac genre flows down the YouTube rivers to this thing I had never heard before, so things turned out okay:

It's a nice sentiment now, though I am often feeling too cynical to receive it. We don't want to give up on listening, and we give thanks for those who are listening despite, presumably, not believing any of what they hear and feeling so hostile. Yeah, I get it, I sympathize, but maybe there's something worth hearing still.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:05 pm

Having this love-hate relationship with Drake. Right now wobbling back and forth between Headlines and the Motto, and Look Alive and Nice For What. Others in the vicinity question my aesthetics, or scream things like NOOOOOO. Drake is much disliked here but I still love him, and I know he's bad but I still love him. Ughhhhhh. Oh no, YouTube finally has a real version of the dreeeeeamiest Drake song. It's like if you had a giant fuzzy teddy bear, and he was disappointed that you got up and left the bed every day, so one evening as you're laying there hugging him, he starts singing to you. Sighhh. A super plush bear. This might be where people build up to that furry stuff, look out, danger! Parking this here for future usage!

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:32 pm

Found a new radio station (joy!) and now find myself stuck with maybe the worst of the songs they were playing today:

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:21 pm

Oy I have questions about whether the above even qualifies as music. Never mind; I cleared my mental palette by watching one of the pioneers of steel drum music talk about how he constructed his first steel drums, and then like an hour of steel drum troupes! Are they properly referred to as troupes? Hope so. Anyway, this fixed things and now the weekend is off to a very positive start with this guy:

Return to “Nerd Babble”