Music Music Music

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Music Music Music

Postby Phoebe » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:28 pm

He really has a gift for making a fairly mundane and impersonal and non-tragic moment, i.e. continuing not to meet a random person you haven't ever met anyway, seem totally tragic; I need a coffee refill just to make it through repeats, but I had to get less interruptive background music for WORK. There is probably something more to the subway vs. skyway distinction that I'm not quite grasping here, but will file away for later contemplation.

Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:29 pm

No further comment required.

akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:14 am

Among other personae, Tom Waits is a brilliantly demented torch song singer.

Reel on a repeating loop
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:02 pm

In her last song Django Jane, she rapped "hit the mute button, let thevagina have a monologue." Well looks like it got a whole song
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:34 pm

Well then. The part about boys having blue and girls... I don't know. A lot of people like this gal and it seems like the sort of thing I would like, but I try and can't get into it. My body parts speak some other language, assuming they deign to speak at all. Drip feat. Migos is an example, but could be a bit of a passing fad, a phrase du jour by which they are greatly amused, unlike, say, Chaka Khan or some other more permanent lingo:

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:57 pm

For some reason at this moment in time, the gods have seen fit to elevate the stardom of all the persons above, who make beeping and blipping and brrrrt noises all the time. I don't know how I can express this since you don't normally hear me speak, but my kids can testify to you that I go through the day communicating largely in these kinds of noises. At work even I will encounter people and, without meaning to, sometimes will pop out with these types of noises or punctuations to what I'm saying, and no one knows what the hell is wrong. I can't even tell you how much it pleases me that there seems to be an entire music built around the punctuation with strange mechanical noises made with the lips and tongue. I won't go to the other place we were referring to before but maybe it speaks that way too. It's so remarkable and delightful to me and is pretty much the only good thing happening this week. I don't know how long this moment is going to last in our culture but Amen to it I say Amen. Or, blllllppp, bzzzooool pddddt. This is just my go-to in life for so many scenarios. Especially when you encounter a small child - isn't this something we all do? If you are suddenly given a small child hold or entertained don't you start beeping and helicopter sounding? My daughter tells me there's a whole clip of Cardi making these noises. God bless this woman.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:51 am

I had a hard debate this morning, this utter shittiest of days, 5x shittiest, about whether I should give up and call in sick, or whether I had yet some adequate inner reserves to deal with the string of non-stop work, overhelming physical ailments in both self and others, and endless external stressors that constitute the present.
And then I got up at the crack of dawn and took my kid to school and they played me this in the car. And I said you know what? I'm abandoning my plan to be defeated today, because I'm the man. I will work twice as hard and I will be f****** cheerful every minute of it, because that's how God and my mom and dad made me. I will not be easily defeated, especially by my own self.

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:05 am

The YG part of this song kills me - this is what I hear in my mind when I go wandering through the house, assuming I don't pause to scrutinize anything too closely in the mirror. Also like how the recitation of Bag Brands starts to sound like other words. Mantras.

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:04 am

Sheryl Crow, Every Day is a Winding Road. Popped into the brains probably because MORNING.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Umm. Is it weird that the Master is back?
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:09 pm

Does the master ever really leave?
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:55 am

Sometimes I forget how great this album is.

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:04 am

We are all in love with Drake, apparently, all of us women, and I am not so much different as to evade this fate. Nice for what indeed? Why nice? Women of my, ah, vintage are being put in a Drake video, and maybe we do have a hundred bands and no further need to be nice to anyone who isn't nice to us in return. Indeed! You tell them, Drake. I do wonder if Lauryn Hill gets royalties for this. Hopefully so, or else why is she being nice? People are mad that her voice was sped up but it simply makes us want to seek out that song again, and we do, so here it is:

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:00 am

A good day for Aretha... We have this nice song, and then fighting it out between Aretha and Chaka Khan over Until you come back, to see which one I like better. No way to choose.

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:07 pm

Everyday is Aretha Day! My daughter a few months ago liked one of her songs, so since then I've been playing her Aretha more and more. She heard a Janelle Monae song and asked if it's Aretha. Pretty much there is no song I can play her on Janelle's new album, out today:

My first reaction is that I dunno if it matches her first two classics, and I think I'd like it better if I knew for sure there won't be four more years until we hear more songs from her. At first, it sounds like it took a while to make, but doesn't sound like it took four years to make. None of the new songs hit me as well as the first single, Make Me Feel. But no doubt will listen a dozen more times to be sure.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:08 pm

Janelle Monae appropriate for safe robots day; I really need to listen to the whole new album, friends here raving over it too.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed May 02, 2018 7:26 am

In days past if I wanted to crank out
Enormous gobs of work in one large bout
Grace Under Pressure was my go-to track
I buckled down and did things with no slack
Now that I'm old and in a different zone
For some reason it's Drake who's on my phone
I listen to his droning day and night
Sometimes don't know it's him - oh yeah, that's right
Blocboy featuring Drake, I get it now
This otherwise bland song helps me to plow
Through monstrous piles of monstrous things to do
There's never time before kids must leave school
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed May 02, 2018 10:07 am

Rights to her music Lauryn does not own
So she won't get paid if onto my phone
Drake's "Nice For What?" I decide to download
And that sucks, but listen to her unload
Some verses over the top of his drone:

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed May 02, 2018 10:33 am

You might see this as a borin coincidence,
NPR's lady list is chillin in my aural residence,
Lauren Hill glowed bright like a nuclear reactor
Today I was just listnin to her electric "Ex Factor."
Wish she had a bit more peace and a lot more bling,
but I can't not hear her be money on "Doo Wop (That Thing)"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed May 02, 2018 11:10 am

Lord help me, O. M. G., after I read
Your verses I was on the floor cold dead

Return to “Nerd Babble”