Music Music Music

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Music Music Music

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:26 am

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:21 pm

Gonna start a musical listening party on the boards, inspired by this, because I've heard Hamilton a ton (especially act 1) but hadn't heard Dear Evan Hanson. Will start a new thread in a few.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:43 pm

Two albums I've had a particular hard time making it through on NPR's 150 Greatest Albums by Women list.

First was Yoko Ono's Plastic Ono Band
Second, I listened to today, was Diamanda Galas' The Litanies of Satan.

I realize, maybe I don't like angry avante-garde. I enjoy Meredith Monk and Laurie Anderson, and it must be because they are lighter, maybe? More paletable? More interested in hooks and repeat listens? I may listen to Diamanda's aural anguish again (not while operating heavy machinery), and I have appreciated this work, as well as Yoko Ono's "Double Fantasy" work. Ono's almost-unlistenable album, "Plastic Ono Band", recorded over an afternoon with little pre or afterthought by her or her backing band, is still one of the least favorite musics I've heard.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:46 am

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:21 pm

I don't find either of those particularly listenable either. Maybe it's some kind of art, but not music for me to enjoy. Experiment can be cool to listen to. I'm so mad my phone just autocorrected listen into Osteen. No, no, bad man assistant. Those two don't mix!
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:44 pm

I'm going to add another Hamilton Drop until Phoebe admits these are actually awesome.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:04 pm

For a friend.

Reel on a repeating loop
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:09 pm

Touch up job on lil' shaver

Reel on a repeating loop
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:10 am

Getting kinda obsessed with Mercedes Sosa lately.

This song is an ace earworm,
sounds like a long-lost Simon and Garfunkel song
and potent AF
A helpful Genius annotation
https://genius.com/2438424
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:34 am

Very nice, she has a lovely voice!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:58 pm

An oldie but goodie. I'm not sure who he was thinking of when he wrote the song, but it makes me think of the people I admire.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:28 pm

Oh you know just a tune by those old standby somewhat racist dudes. I don't know how this stuff gets wedged in there. At the moment I'm rocking out to the Wall like it's 1983. Could be how things get stuck.

Some other thoughts that have arisen because of this: I wondered why he looked so young and it's because he is several years younger than me when he's making this video. W T H how did that happen. I am older than she's so cold era Mick Jagger 1980. F! Additionally I would like to know if this is where the term boujee comes to the surface of white culture. I don't know what that means and I don't really want to have to Google it. I know that some people are bad and boujee but I don't know why. It's a decent bet I might even be bad and boujee and possibly not knowing why is what makes me more so. It should be left a mystery. This is the type of thing I like to lay on people at work every once in awhile because it makes them laugh. Well I should say that some laugh, and I don't know why they're laughing but that amuses me too, and others are even more clueless than I am, which is funny too, and there's a chance they might go and repeat it in that double layer of cluelessness which makes it really priceless. One of my big bosses, I guess number one or number two, depending how you slice it, has been trading sayings with me unconsciously or perhaps consciously. I can't say what the things are because they're things that only he and I say but we say them all the time, and it is a mark of our awesomeness.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:31 am

It might not hold up (especially because my Amazon Unlimited membership is up), and I'm not following my rules of last year (listen three times, pick a favorite new-to-me song from each), but I've been maintaining my 1-album-a-day rate from Jan 1st of last year.

Here's what I got for 2018 so far:

Valarie June - Pushin' Against A Stone
Bonnie Raitt - Bonnie Raitt
Bonnie Raitt - Luck of the Draw
The Roches - The Roches
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Janet Jackson - Control
Dolly Parton – Coat Of Many Colors
The Ronettes – Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica
Selena – Amor Prohibido
Nina Simone – Nina Simone Sings the Blues
Linda Ronstadt – Heart Like A Wheel
Etta James – Rocks The House
Queen Latifah – All Hail The Queen
The Runaways – The Runaways
Stevie Nicks – Bella Donna
Emmylou Harris – Wrecking Ball
PJ Harvey – Rid Of Me
Madonna - Like a Prayer
Cameron Esposito & Rhea Butcher - Back to Back
The Staple Singers – Be Altitude: Respect Yourself
Odetta – It’s a Mighty World
Emmylou Harris – Pieces of the Sky
Loretta Lynn - Coal Miner's Daugher
Gillian Welch – Time (The Revelator)
Emmylou Harris - Luxury Liner
Heart – Dreamboat Annie
The Raincoats – The Raincoats
X-Ray Spex – Germfree Adolescents
Lucinda Williams – Car Wheels On A Gravel Road
Ani Difranco – Little Plastic Castle
Laura Nyro and LaBelle - Gonna Take a Miracle
Labelle - Chameleon
Nico – Chelsea Girl
Sarah Vaughan – Sassy Swings Again
Tammy Wynette – Stand By Your Man
k.d. lang - Ingénue
Laura Nyro – New York Tendaberry
Rickie Lee Jones – Pirates
Celia Cruz – Son con Guaguanco
Labelle – Nightbirds
Janelle Monae - Metropolis
Mary J. Blige - What's the 411?
K-Def and 45 King: Back to the Beat Vol 2
Eurythmics - Touch
Indigo Girls – Indigo Girls
Fiona Apple – Tidal
Barbra Streisand – Funny Girl
Buffy Sainte-Marie – It’s My Way!
Astrud Gilberto – The Astrud Gilberto Album
Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band
Patty Griffin – Flaming Red
Madonna – Like a Virgin
Cris Williamson – The Changer and the Changed
Meshell Ndegeocello – Peace Beyond Passion
Shelby Lynne – I Am Shelby Lynne
Cocteau Twins – Heaven or Las Vegas
Destiny’s Child – The Writing’s on the Wall
Alison Krauss And Union Station – New Favorite
Siouxsie and the Banshees – The Scream
George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1
The Bulgarian State Radio & Television Choir – Le Mystère Des Voix Bulgares
Lil’ Kim – Hard Core
Shakira – ¿Dónde Están los Ladrones?
Mariah Carey – Daydream
Miranda Lambert – Platinum
Dear Evan Hanson
X - Wild Gift
Jack White - Boarding House Reach
Against Me! – Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Bobbie Gentry – Ode To Billie Joe
Britney Spears – …Baby One More Time
Carly Simon – No Secrets
Cassandra Wilson – Blue Light ‘Til Dawn
Diamanda Galás – The Litanies of Satan
Dixie Chicks – Wide Open Spaces
Ella Fitzgerald – Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Johnny Mercer Song Book
Gladys Knight and the Pips – Imagination
Iris DeMent – My Life
Joan Baez – Diamonds & Rust
Macy Gray – On How Life Is
Marianne Faithfull – Broken English
Mercedes Sosa – Mercedes Sosa en Argentina
Meredith Monk – Dolmen Music
Ofra Haza – 50 Gates Of Wisdom (Yemenite Songs)
Oumou Sangare – Moussolou (Women)
Pauline Oliveros, Stuart Dempster, Panaiotis – Deep Listening
Portishead – Dummy
Reba McEntire – Rumor Has It
Robyn – Body Talk
Rosanne Cash – King’s Record Shop
Salt-N-Pepa – Blacks’ Magic
Shirley Horn – I Thought About You — Live At Vine St
Sonic Youth – Sister
Spice Girls – Spice
Teena Marie – Wild and Peaceful
Terri Lyne Carrington – The Mosaic Project
The Bangles – All Over the Place
The Slits – Cut
Tina Turner – Private Dancer
X – Los Angeles
Madonna - Ray of Light

Much of these are from NPR's 150 albums by women list. I have nine albums left from that list to hear.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Obsessed with "trap music", have finally realized they call it that because it traps you. A lot of times you think you have beaten Obsession as a general rule of living, and then it will just pop out in the darndest ways, unexpected but delightful so that you can't get rid of it.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:28 am

Drake isn't a solution, just making things worse!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:42 am

So you wonder, what does it mean to be trapped by trap music into an irrational and unfortunate obsession? I am listening to this thing which has all the fundamental structure and appeal of a sideline cheer at a girl's softball game Circa 1980. The problem is those were really freaking catchy Tunes. Why does my manly Google Assistant always capitalize words just because I happen to enunciate what I say? Oh now I see he prefers to capitalize his own title. Look don't get too up with me. You do a poor enough job even answering basic request I've made 18 times before because I can't be bothered to ask you to put it in the address book or when I do you screw that up somehow to. I don't know why people are so worried about robots taking over when is not working out very well at the moment. Look at the roomba which seems to be primarily for entertaining cats. Anyway I digress and the issue is that you will listen to this music and it brings together two bad things that are also bad together and yet totally infect your brain and you will have to turn it on and play it all the way through breakfast and getting ready for work because it helps you in your life. These people really don't even seem like nice people. Is starting to Dawn on my Consciousness that all these references to cooking and kitchens and things aren't actually about Jacques Pepin. No matter it has gotten the out-the-door cheerful and I'm even so pleased with my own face today that I almost forgot to put on any makeup.

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:36 am

My kid is really into this Rihanna, so now it's in my mind too:
Amusing things have been happening here, which is good because otherwise I'm totally burnt out on work levels and way past the introvert quotient for the week, beyond which one seeks to burrow into a hole and experience no human contact, along with mild self-loathing. I've had to say so many words to people, without a net. To recover I communicate to myself and the kids in the car with a series of beeps and trills. However, the ongoing amusements are, luckily, multitudinous and delightful. Sometimes so surprising, and sometimes I don't even know where to begin - a non-stop comedy of life rolls by. Tonight I found myself saying, I refuse to read until you stop swordfighting! But I can't convey the proper context - the fighters were sparkly. We are in the midst of a heavy kid music season here, which is nice. I love all of it.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:07 pm

In my country, , to mark the birth! I observe that youtube often gives me Ravel Miroirs to follow this, usually #5, or Debussy La Mer or The Snow is Dancing. Who knew there was even Well, now we know.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:29 am

Universe, you just keep bringing the good things as a kind of balm for the soul against all the terrible things going on in our world. First you gave us a whole Cardi B album I don't have time to absorb properly, and then you essentially made . Drake, with some kind of hair, Dancing crazy, with White Pants that emphasize the, ah, thickness. O - K.

Note to self ff to 2:15.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:18 am

This Cardi album. I'm trying to write this in a way that is acceptable to a wider audience of reader, but it is hard given the context. Um, I hope for her sake that someday she realizes the skills, associations, or possessions on which she prides herself are sometimes not worthy of taking pride in because they aren't that rare or stupendous, but her comments on these are nevertheless hilarious additions to the wider world of rap albums, and she has plenty of other rare and stupendous personal qualities for pride purposes. And I hope someone explains her racist moments back to her and maybe when she is older and wiser she will regret those. However, I too came through drippin so, I will pass those other tracks and move straight to go without holding my breath for the internet feminists to discover that this person has a few unpleasant problems.

Return to “Nerd Babble”