Music Music Music

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Music Music Music

Postby Phoebe » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:26 pm

I'm so impressed by all your successes in the 365 challenge! I suppose I have a chance to take it over 100 if I'm not there already, and should do so as a reasonable target. I really thought I was going to get it done but life events intervened. It has been helpful, at least, to reflect upon the fact that something is wrong when a person can't ever stay in one place calmly and quietly enough to listen to an hour's worth of music. It's a symptom worth noticing. Anyway, I listened to a lot of great music I probably would not have taken the time to focus on in that depth and it was very nice to discover some things to carry forward in the regular-listens henceforth.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks! I really enjoyed it, and enjoyed trading albums with you!

I'm now taking up the 365 days of exersize challenge for this year. Though I did listen to 2 albums this morning, so that makes 367 in 367 days, hehe.

366. Valarie June - Pushin' Against A Stone
367. Bonnie Raitt - Bonnie Raitt (1971)
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mimekiller » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:49 pm

Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:48 am

An auto-tuned Teen Spirit.

Not a bad song, but compared to the original, it just seems... wrong.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:42 am

How do y'all arrive at musical opinions after listening to an album once?
I'm trying to knock out as much of the NPR Greatest Albums By Women list before my 99cent for three months of Amazon Unlimited expires in February. I've enjoyed all I've heard, but I'd have trouble noting anything of note.

Listened to all of these once in the last week:

The Roches - The Roches
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Janet Jackson - Control
Dolly Parton – Coat Of Many Colors
The Ronettes – Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica
Selena – Amor Prohibido
Nina Simone – Nina Simone Sings the Blues
Linda Ronstadt – Heart Like A Wheel
Etta James – Rocks The House
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:24 am

It's a flimsy opinion - I probably listened to Black Francis for a full 9 months and saying "ughhhhhh that screamer again!" before coming to the light. Other things you love from day 1, I don't know. Anyway, you're giving me more material here which is good! We have been listening to all classical music lately here due to the need for many tryouts, competitions, and recitals to happen in January. I am looking forward to digging into other things soon.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:06 pm

More of the same classical music playing over here, punctuated by some George Benson, this , and a of ABBA.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:57 pm

This morning on the way to work some kind soul played Sean Paul's Temperature, so I was able to survive the Monday pretty well despite the ups and downs of such a day. For instance, putting coat on backwards! Luckily noticed before walking into the office that way. Anyway, Temperature is a mating song, a song for mating and a song compatible with the standard, natural ebb and flow of matings. That is all.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:40 pm

You can never get back
If you're feeling sad and lonely
Under the overpass

Reel on a repeating loop
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:51 pm

So much more that's outside your sphere
But you walk on by never knowing how near
So much more than the walls do show
But if you're not very careful then you'll never know
You're living in a box

Reel on a repeating loop
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:03 am

These guys were, in large part, the soundtrack to my time in grad school.

And it's nice to have a song about everyone's favorite hobby.

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:57 am

Dating Miss Michigan would, alas, not be my preferred hobby, but it's always nice to get your songs of the day!

Things here go poorly with no sleep; sometimes I wonder if the reason I enjoy 21 Pilots so much is that I don't sleep enough. Anyway, it's a 21 Pilots sort of day! I've been reading some excellent research that illuminates the links between being a "night owl" or otherwise having messed up sleep patterns, and being a miserable, depressed, anxious person. I look around my family and husband's family and giant bells of anecdotal truth clang wildly, especially when sleep deprivation is making my head hurt. I have slept 9 hours in the last 60 or so and it's NOT GOOD! I need to take my one child who is a morning person and live in a separate apartment from the night owls. I haven't given up on the youngest yet but he has definite night owl tendencies. I seriously think it's a deeply unhealthy medical condition that should be treated like a disease. I volunteer my family for the experimental treatment. Where do I call?
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:53 pm

And just because I want to kill somebody doesn't mean to say that I will
And I don't think that that makes me crazy
And anyway I'm way past caring

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:41 pm

Nope, no killing anyone please!
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Until the shaking stops
The shaking stops
Until the shaking stops
The shaking stops
I think the shaking stopped
The shaking stopped

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:55 pm

I'm basically a bad mother, it seems. The two youngest are engaged in conflict and I'm just laying here listening and confess I am laughing and leaving the oldest to mediate. "Unfortunately there seems to have been a conflict resulting in mutual violence and bad feeling," I said, and then they ran off in mutual disgust with me to argue their cases to another judge. Each accuses the other of LYING. Threats of fighting with... A whoopee cushion? The hell does that even mean? My head hurts; fighting off virus. You have kids and you have to fix their clogged toilet and deal with conflict, you're not supposed to give up and laugh.

There was a time I would have dismissed as absurd degeneracy the idea of "text someone in your own house so you don't have to get up" but now it seems a vital use-value of modern technology.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:17 am

Bruno Mars' album was my least favorite of the five nominated for Best Album. Liked the song, though.

They should just call it the Kendrick Was Robbed awards. I guess the Carters could say that again too.

I get some puritans not voting for someone who raps "get money fuck bitches" but that's literally all Bruno Mars sings about.

Last year, I admitted I was late to the party and I want in, I didn't know who Janelle Monae was, and now I can't stop adoring her.

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:57 am

Toooooootally agree. My sense is that the voters must have been split between other nominees and that allowed Bruno Mars to pop up with all the lame-ass vote. I'm not opposed to Bruno Mars I just think he was not on the level of the rest. The other sad thing is that if you were going to pick the best Bruno Mars songs it wouldn't be the stuff that earned him the wins.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:02 am

Car radio music this week has been excellent.
On the way to work: money talks! F### a G and get some money! Lol, I have prepared my own version of the Cardi verse. What is the word for taking kid to music practice at a painful crack of dawn? I need a song called Friday I can sleep. Meaning, later on. Oh sleep, we hardly knew ye. Warm bed, where have you gone?

Vince Neil - his vocal range is identical to mine. We sang Home Sweet Home in the car together. So loudly.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:56 am

The Roches - The Roches

I wonder how many people started listening to NPR's 150 Greatest Albums by Women list and just got stuck on 150. It's beautiful often-very-funny triple-harmony folk.

The harmonies are wonderful here, the acoustic guitars are sweet, but it's the transcendent guitar solo that blows my mind (by Robert Fripp of King Crimson). Smart subtle use of the hammond organ the cherry on top.

Return to “Nerd Babble”