Music Music Music

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Re: Music Music Music

Postby poorpete » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:12 pm

Speaking of Amazing Grace, adored Aretha's album. My top two fav gospel songs are now her cover of "Old Landmark" and James Brown's cover of "Old Landmark" for Blues Brothers.

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:58 am

Rhiannon Giddens received a McArthur Fellowship genius grant today! Woooooo

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:34 pm

(#303) Double Fantasy has 14 songs. 7 lead John, 7 lead Yoko. Of John's 7 songs, 6 were on his greatest hits album I own.

This means
1. I had to listen to 7 Yoko songs.
2. I always pick one fav new-to-me track. In this case, John's 1 unfamiliar song was not impressive on first listen.

As someone who always demonized Yoko, I not only have to admit that 1) she's not a bad music artist. I'm fine. It's true. But 2) adding a Yoko song to my collection. Damn, that's a tough one. We'll see after two more listens...
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:17 am

St. Vincent's Masseduction is on Spotify
https://open.spotify.com/album/4RoOGpdrgfiIUyv0kLaC4e
Very post-disco Bowie Talking Heads Prince so far.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:41 pm

281. Frank Sinatra - Come Dance with Me.

A good selection of songs, even though he's a total creep on the cover..

309. Frank Sinatra - A Man and His Music

Finishing up my Sinatra education, which spans six albums, which ties Aretha Franklin for most albums by an artist I listened to this year, though Sinatra's included 1 double album and 1 triple album. I've listened to this once, and was a pretty enjoyable listen, even the mythic speeches he makes throughout. I've been especially harsh on Ol Blue Eyes as his arrangements in the early days and the later days were pretty sleepy. Good, but, zzzzzzzz. I do like his voice, the arrangements are never terrible, and I like how he latched onto albums, specifically concept albums, in an era where the single was still king.

This also leaves me with one Best Album Grammy winner that I have yet to hear... The First Family by Vaughn Meader, a comedy album about the Kennedys that was taken out of print after his assassination, and has not been released on CD or digitally... though it's on YouTube, so that's where I'll listen.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:36 am

Hoping today is the day this mysterious, forgotten "music" thing is found again!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:05 pm

Having a rough day, worried about people. Got up; tried out some functioning; sampled the delights of "perimenopause"; retreated to bed. Earworm perp Cardi B is all I have the strength for. , Trust Issues, and those bloody shoes, whatever that one is called. This woman is vaguely offensive in beliefs but also just plain hilarious. Guilty pleasure. I also watched her hair videos; feel I learned something. Still don't feel like getting out of bed. People in this world, uh, they need to put their guns and nukes and stuff safely away.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:28 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:38 am

Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:20 am

I feel like crap and am struggling to get through my morning. When I feel like crap and still have to be functional Lubomyr Melnyk is my go-to.

Fixed: Thanks, PoorPete!
Last edited by Iantha on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 am

Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:28 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:41 am

Nice, I can see why that's morning music. Insistent without being harsh. This morning at the crack of dawn they were playing Don Giovanni, so I was jolted into a rather grim wakefulness! BTW I assume that you are already far more familiar than I am with the musical oeuvre of this particular character, but if you like Lubomyr Melnyk maybe you need ?
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:25 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:59 pm

We can hope. And hopefully you're prepared with bribery, begging, or whatever it takes to produce action! I always feel bad, being this horrid fan one would not wish to have, so I try to spread the music around to other people - not sure that has much effect. It is great stuff though.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:43 pm

Added Evertina for a few weeks from now, but might arrive sooner if La Boheme, my current classical todo, turns out too heavy to handle.

308. Run the Jewels 3.
Enjoyed their first album, even more their second. On first listen, I'm notably grumpy on their third, in in particular a single line calling out dangerous political actors with nuclear weapons, making me doubly angry because they were openly supportive of Jill Stein. I assume I'll calm down enough to separate the message-I-agree-with with the action I don't. I listen to artists who've done worse than vote for the wrong person and encourage others to do the same. Still... I'm grumpy.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:41 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:30 pm

50+ years post Nancy Sinatra's boots, we have Cardi's bloody shoes. Who is this woman??? I can't help it, I love it. Issues, I know, but I love it anyway.

Also did not like Humble on first listen! It turned out to be one of those songs that grows on ya. OMG I love it now. It's practically a life anthem at this point.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:01 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Obsessed with the bloody shoes song, can't help it. I can't even begin to understand this other human being who could write these lyrics, and yet magically they make perfect sense for my days, in a totally different way.

Also: I continue to discover that when loved ones post their random references to, uh, self-harm ideation, I don't deal well. Not sure why it affects the mind so. You know you can't do anything, feel like you should, and can't.

Return to “Nerd Babble”