This Happened

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: This Happened

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Someone's used glass would not bother me as long as I knew it was recently used.

The dog thing would have bugged me. Not vomit-level of bother, but... ew.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:59 pm

Well, looked at another way, it boosts your immune system.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ronster » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:12 pm

At least they have been wormed
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:41 pm

Stopped eating sushi for this reason. I really, really, really do not want worms. People who grow up on the farm sometimes got worms. I have heard a lot about what it's like to have worms.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 pm

I am a soccer mom yet I am really really really not a soccer mom, as the other actual soccer moms make plain to me with remarkable alacrity. I am old and hardened in ice these days, and I don't even know these people so I don't care about them, but it is sort of sad in an abstract way. The sad part comes from how it relates to my child's role. As the kids get older and they start to become more specialized in how they do things on the team, or they grow in height and physical capability at different rates, the social relations follow accordingly. Athletic prowess is the most important thing in the lives of many actual human beings who live in my region. This is a wicked way to live your life if you think about it. I love sports very much in my own life and I'm glad that some of my kids can participate in them, but parts of the system are truly yuck.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:03 pm

Notice: Geraldo Rivera is still alive, and has lost his whole damn mind, assuming that implies something lost.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:37 am

A gaggle of middle school kids crowding into the violin group rehearsal is fighting about the chemical construction of the acid-cycle. Even wealthy suburban America contains lots of radically different subcultures. At soccer later they will be talking about hot yoga and Paleo.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Someone has made me breakfast. It was at lunch time but it definitely counts.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:11 pm

I took my daughter to Loyola University Chicago for "Loyola Weekend" this past Saturday. It was fun. It was my first time seeing the campus. We toured a couple of the residence halls; talked with some representatives from the business school, including a professor of finance, which is what she is intending to major in; learned a bit about their "Experiential Learning" focus; talked with some folks about her potentially joining the "Service Learning and Faith" living/learning community next year, given that her career goals are to work for nonprofit organizations (she wants to work with money, but not necessarily MAKE any...); talked with the major LGBTQ+ advocacy group about what the atmosphere on campus is like, given that she's out and proud and, unless something changes, her boyfriend, who is trans, will also be attending there next year as well; relayed some of her boyfriend's questions (he couldn't make it) about trans housing at the "Diversity" session; and toured the "Water Tower" campus as well, which is where the School of Business is actually located and most of her classes in her major will be after her freshman year. We also had a very tasty lunch at a deli on the Water Tower campus, which is one of the places that counts as part of their food plan. (Some of the restaurants downtown take Loyola student IDs and you use the meal plan instead of money.) We also toured one of the rooms in the residence hall on the Water Tower campus. The rooms there are apartment style rooms with either four single bedrooms or two double bedrooms and a common living room/kitchen with two bathrooms. They are pretty nice places. They even have a dishwasher. She will probably move into that hall starting her sophomore year, if possible, since most of her classes will be on that campus and the two buildings for the Business School and the residence hall are on the same block. We would be able to reduce what we pay for her meal plan then and have her cook her own meals, which she would prefer anyway, and the cost of the apartments, while not cheap, are a lot cheaper than anything else you would find anywhere NEAR the Water Tower campus! And she'd be living in downtown Chicago... just a couple of blocks from Water Tower Place... a mile from the theater district... with a student ID that she can use to board any train or bus in the city to go anywhere she pleases... Yeah... she's looking forward to living there...

All in all it was a good day.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:34 pm

I went to Loyola for grad school about 20 years ago. It's a good school. And the location is excellent--great access to the North Side.

I love Chicago, so I'm jealous--I haven't been there in about 10 years.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:30 pm

My oldest child does not know our address.

My husband calls his unholy pairing of dark brown, black, and dark green formal work clothing, "forest at night time".
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:12 pm

The psychopathology of neurotic excoriation is poorly understood, they say. Baloney. I will tell you where it comes from: being really freaking stressed out with no relief, and feeling the simultaneous need to both punish and care for yourself.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:32 am

Drank margaritas, went walking because it was so nice out, drank margaritas, began watching movie. Movie SO boring! Snoozed immediately! Slept like a baby the dreamless sleeps for 8.5 hours! Feel like a million bucks. Morning, pleasant at last. Work will be done!
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:53 am

Have a low-beam headlight burned out on our 2011 Lincoln. The owner's manual says it has to be replaced at the dealership, because it's a special high-intensity discharge bulb. So I took it to the dealership yesterday, and they said the the bulbs cost $400 EACH! Even the manager of the service department couldn't believe how expensive they were. He told me I could go buy the bulbs at an auto parts store for less, bring them back, and they would install them for me. So I'll be picking up the bulbs today, but won't get a chance to go back into the dealership until Saturday morning, since I'll be out of town this week for work.

Man, $400 each for headlight bulbs.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:36 pm

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:08 am

Some bad shit happened. Not personally bad for me, not earth-shatteringly bad, but truly bad shit nonetheless, with which One Must Deal. But do we deal with it casually? Briefly? Or with the full array of worst options? I am angry with a person, which rarely happens, nobody you know, nobody I know well, nobody we need to worry about, but this person is personally responsible for doing bad shit. And he had Choices.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:15 pm

REDACTED on advice of my non-trusting advisor.

My problem is that I keep trying to trust people in the workplace and I should listen to my husband (see above) who says it is impossible and one should never ever proceed by trying to do that.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:22 pm

And so it begins... Another spring of freezing through soccer games as crazy people yell crazy shit at kids.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:56 pm

I will shoot down Bill Cosby’s plane with an RPG if he tries to flee the country
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:37 pm

Paid off our mortgage today. Now I'm waiting for everything to breakdown at once.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"

Return to “Nerd Babble”