Music Music Music

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Music Music Music

Postby Phoebe » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:22 pm

I can see picking Eilish for this, because she's hugely popular with the young and commands big crowds and such. But so far I am really not a fan. That's okay, her music is not intended for me either. I just think she's kind of tragic - 16 and writing songs about nooses and her vendetta seeking v. Right, small homeschooled child, that's great quality stuff. If Cardi wants to tell us about the ribbon her box needs it doesn't offend me, I identify, but I really can't pretend to like that kind of thing from a kid my kid's age. I don't want to knock the success of the young woman but I find it odd that her songs are all written from the perspective of a 40 year old man.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:06 am

This is an abomination! Flipped radio to what I thought was the proper version of this song, initially thought the DJ failed to flip the right switches and was doing some bad singing over the top. The "highlight" moment where Lizzo goes high is then cut into by the most horrifying extraneous "note" from Ariana Grande. O M G world she is the worst singer, probably of all singers at her popularity level she is my least favorite because objectively Cannot Sing Well. Why is this not obvious? Horrorshow mangling of this perfect song. Whyyyeeeee?

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:13 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:08 pm

Some really weird things are going on here, because I've been listening to this like it's the last music on earth, and I have never seen such a long youtube ID btw. I think this is a wedding or something? It's a wedding singer and his band? No - a Valentine's day dance? In Finland. The accordion and drummer are - across several such videos - engaged in a battle for supremacy and it's never quite clear on whose side the bassist or pianist lands, but I'm blaming everyone but the bassist for lagging randomly. I personally drum better than this, which is sad, but also means I might be able to retire from my job early and form a new career as the drummer of a wedding band in a country that has the best educational system. Worth pondering. I reached these videos because of the bassist. It was a long chain of dominoes that originally had a functional purpose but no longer does. The bassist has weird personal hygiene issues but otherwise is extremely interesting.

Okay, here's a somewhat friskier polka where they still can't keep it tight but much improved (how much do I love polka? infinite):

akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:23 am

On my way to save the world

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:12 pm

Love them! I think this is probably one of their better known songs, but I have always loved it and it has a tremendous quote about freedom.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:17 pm

Great song!
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:28 pm

Esperanza Spalding is a favorite - she has all kinds of creative musics and her unusual style as lyricist generally sparks imaginative flight.

akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:21 pm

Nine years out of date, but still the best "I'm getting old" song.

Reel on a repeating loop
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:24 pm

This song just popped into my head out of nowhere.

Reel on a repeating loop
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:42 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:03 pm

Still on my Esperanza Spalding thing, although this video freaks me out a little!

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:32 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:23 pm

This is such a lovely song, though sad - but at this time of year I wonder that we don't have a little more in the way of sad songs, given that many people have grief of one kind or another around the holidays. So many people I know are struggling with that in this month. Anyway, also have been listening to some Beatles, which is odd for me, but we have a new radio station that plays them a lot, so I have been prompted to dip in.

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:06 am

Larkin Poe has been nominated for a Grammy for Best Contemporary Blues Album for their latest release Venom & Faith. I'm very excited. They're an indie band and self-produced, and I love everything they do, and it's super cool to see them get some recognition.

"Sometimes" is the lead track from Venom & Faith...
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:41 am

Sweet. I only knew this blues classic from the opening track of Moby's opus "Play" -- an album I was going to say is underrated but is on RS' list of 500 greatest albums and the most popular electronic album of all time, so maybe not...

River is amazing. I ebb and flow (pun) whether it is a happy or sad christmas song. At the very least it's melancholy. Joni might be cursing her LA life and yearning for her Saskatchewan youth, but at the same time it's been nearly 50 years since and has yet to move back. Sure she wants to skate away from where she is, but at the same time she wants to ice skate. She's dreaming of a white christmas, but probably more fatalistic that it's not to be.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:05 am

A good song for a gray Monday! Her imagination is just so interesting!

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:16 pm

Happy solstice - here is its song:

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:17 pm

Current state: in Donna Summer bliss.

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:57 am

My music mix for 2019, regulars to listening to what I've been listening to won't be surprised most of these. 7 are from the NPR 200 songs list, most of the rest are from my weekly deep dives also inspired by NPR's weekly deep dives. So yeah...

Bomba Estereo - Soy Yo
Chance the Rapper - Let's Go On The Run
Amerie - 1 Thing
Brittany Howard - He Loves Me
Noura Mint Seymali - Ghlana
Ella Fitzgerald - Smooth Sailing
The Ink Spots - Someone's Rocking My Dreamboat
Sister Rosetta Tharpe- Strange Things Happening Every Day
Pat Benetar - Ooh Ooh Song
Jorja Smith - Blue Lights
Rufus - Ain't Nothing But a Maybe
Ibeyi - River
Annie Lennox - Cold
Kate Bush - Jig of Life
Allison Miller - Otis Was a Polar Bear
Bessie Smith - Weeping Willow Blues
Otis Redding - Try a Little Tenderness (Live in Europe)
Margo Price - Hands of Time

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list ... 5-DC_t6fD0

Return to “Nerd Babble”