Music Music Music

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
akiva
Melancholy Camper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Music Music Music

Postby akiva » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:19 pm

The more I listen to this album, the more somee songs sound like suicide notes.

Reel on a repeating loop
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:07 pm

Here's some stupid funny shit I love:
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:48 pm

akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:18 pm

I actually find depressing music not exactly uplifting, but the intensity of it can pull me out of the depths. Not always, but often.

As to being worried—I’ve never been suicidal, and don’t think I ever will be. I don't know if it’s cowardice or just not wanting to do that to my friends and family. Besides, if you hate yourself and think you deserve bad things, a long life of misery seems fair, right? :-)
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:18 am

Okay, paradoxically that makes me feel better! I had THE worst night of sleep, I can't even describe, but one of those four hour jobs where you're sure that you're not asleep so you're still thinking and thinking, so much, but then wake up sweaty and miserable realizing you must have been asleep because you just woke. The entire night music was drifting through my mind, first a few things I had never heard before, which initially made me happy, but then it morphed into old familiar and exhausting tunes. First was this, accompanied (ha ha brains, very amusing) by scary sounds of rushing water, like sewers after a storm, which then morphed into erratic dance music with flashing lights (migraine?). I blame this on viewing pictures of recent ominous wall clouds right before bed, but at least this brain is quite the humorist:

Morning came and I laid there with open eyes listening to kid getting ready for school, and this entire song rolled through clear as a bell. Very soothing, like the rebellious portion of the brain felt bad about hurting itself continuously and decided a little gentle consolation for the rest of the drones was in order:

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:09 am

Oh wow, what a gift. I don't have new Tool album yet, which I will be getting, and they have given us another song at least to listen to in the meantime, how lovely of them! The fear inoculum song is growing on me in terms of enjoying his singing more. The instrumental part was there but I had to come around to the vocals by trying it in different contexts and moods.
(First one again: https://youtu.be/q7DfQMPmJRI)

The next one is another lyrical challenge because, well, I can't relate to whatever that is, like who even wants to be consequential? but ok. Music so good though, so nice to hear it, so good for concentrating when tired. The part about seven min in is soooooooo sooo so... this is like the music your hear in your soul when you see a prettybird where by prettybird obvs I mean a crow:

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:12 pm

Oh my goodness, they released all of this yesterday and it is so good. The other day hearing track one I was pleased but my mind was still intact. At this point my entire brain is metamorphosed into a new species. It's so familiar yet so new. I'm breathless from this one below, absolutely breathless. Somehow it evaporated my whole being, flew it around the sky for a few laps, and then left me stunned and breathless here on this cloud. I need to get back to work soon but this whole weekend, this whole long weekend is now dedicated, consecrated, and elevated. Thank you, thank you, how my mind needed this today. Haha what am I saying? Where is my mind?! Gone somewhere new; I'll be wandering in search of it.

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:49 pm

You guys, I am just destroyed by it all, it's so good, so unexpected yet expected, so bursting with joy and sorrow and math, math, math, numbers. Mind officially blown.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:33 am

Woah. Thought the song is good but the video makes it more. Knocked out of the park music video. Terry Crews and Brittany Howard are national treasures.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:23 pm

Mmmmm very nice. Who is the author with that famous quote about how hard it is to write a representation of happiness, when most stories have a conflict? Anyway, yes, they are treasures!

Today I heard this in car so I'm just rolling with this, lalala, very mellow to-day:

akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:33 pm

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:23 am

The Lizzo obsession rolls on because her song is so constantly on the radio, and it is the only thing worth listening to there at the moment. Actually I was surprised that a couple radio stations managed to play Fear Inoculum recently, and it sounds so completely amazing in the car! But I don't think that will persist. Sober is the only Tool song one normally hears much of on the radio here; occasionally we would get the Pot or Jambi, Parabola, 46&2, all of which are a little more radio-friendly, at least by Tool standards. But back to Lizzo... Now that people have figured out Truth Hurts, we are getting an occasional Boys and other things. I don't know what happened to that song she did with Missy Elliott; that should be somewhere but I never hear it. I'm also not hearing any Missy Elliott on the radio which makes me think that the radio is poison and death to beauty. New Missy Elliott and where is it?
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:38 pm

She's now at #1 and Good As Hell and Juice are now in the Hot 100 too. I'm so happy for her, and the hipster in me will always be happy I got on that bandwagon a year ago. Would love to see Tempo and Boys get more love but I'm looking forward to what's next. I'd like to see her, like in Tempo, hit us with more from her caustic side. Or... she can take a well-deserved break.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:11 am

Ah yes, at last I am a hipster because you got on that bandwagon so long ago, lol! I really like Good as Hell and hope that means it's coming to a radio here soon! We already hear Boys once in a rare while.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:32 pm

Ahhh wandering over to Lauryn Hill today, very soothing to Monday:

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:24 pm

One of my favorite 90s videos. You can tell, after That Thing, the record company just threw money at this crazy idea. It was also the single that finally convinced me to buy her album, of which 1990s me was disappointed in, but 2010s me loves.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Ok, this is a very predictable thing, but after listening to Fear Inoculum on the car radio I'm converted fully and, though I like some of the other songs on the album better, this too is a great one. The first several times I was just underwhelmed; it didn't really speak to me or grab me the way the other ones did right off the bat. The radio helped because they don't play the first part of the song that irritates me like a cat and a vacuum cleaner, and I really like listening to music in the vehicle for some reason, and finally I started thinking of other meanings and contexts in which I would be able to put those lyrics to use effectively. End result is, I'm loving it like its other new friends now. Maybe I just needed to meditate on sources of fear and how certain sounds affect them, for better or worse.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:41 pm

Stumbled across this, and the guy is hilarious. The contemptible fragility of these artist types, lol! This song is not nauseating, it's not my normal thing but I quite like it. They literally bring him the words on a cell phone - this live version is the best!

akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:26 pm

It's John Coltrane's birthday. This isn't my favorite of his album, but it's overwhelming and amazing, and acquired a personal meaning for me last year.

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:33 pm

Love this! I wonder why some people's improvisational creativity is so arresting - I've seen different theories, some pointing to underlying mathematical or patterned structures, some about spontaneity or emotion, and I don't quite know what to make of it all. The experience as listener is amazing though!

Return to “Nerd Babble”