Apu

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Apu

Postby poorpete » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:59 pm

Have we talked Apu here?

Here's my take: he was okay then, not okay now. Like Amos & Andy. There were black people who liked Amos & Andy (there was a reason they were popular, they had comedic chemistry and good writers), but those fans don't make Amos & Andy any less racist then, and any less cringe-worthy to listen to today.

That said, there's something nice to be said about Apu (he's a very positive character in the Simpsons universe), and an understandable reason why he was portrayed by a white man (there are only a half-dozen voice over artists on the show, and the diversity of their impressions is still awe-inspiring), but I'm ready for Apu to move on or be recast.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: Apu

Postby Kyle » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:36 pm

Agreed.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mimekiller » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:26 pm

I guess I wont be blowing anyones mind if I think the character is fine, the voice is fine, its all fine.

I mean who looks at the SIMPSONS as some kind of battleground for racial progress, the show that has a broad stereotype for every group from sea captains to restaurant owners. Goofy.
Walrus
Bicycle Repairman

Postby Walrus » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:03 pm

It seems to me that when Apu was written, it fell under the bar for racsim. But now, it dates badly. This seems to happen a lot with shows that try to ease into societal issues.

Look at how "Friends" handled lesbians - progressive at the time, pretty stereotyped and crappy these days. There are many other examples that my brain can't seem to think off because it's been beaten to death by sleep depravation - well probably from a lifetime of abuse too.
I'm fluent in 4 languages, know a little in 2 others, but all I speak is sarcasm. :sarcasm:
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:50 am

If you guys haven't seen it, Hari Kondabalu's documentary The Problem With Apu takes a good (and nuanced) look at the issue.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:15 am

Return to “Nerd Babble”