Music Music Music

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Re: Music Music Music

Postby poorpete » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:34 am

291. Quincy Jones - Back on the Block

I can see how this won a Best Album Grammy -- it wasn't just a lifetime achievement award, it's at times very very good. It's very eclectic and features a jaw-dropping list of guests, and featuring some of the last performances for Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Dizzie Gillespie, and Miles Davis. The cheese is sometimes too cheesy, but sometimes just right. Like, this acapella song about how great acapella is. Why does this work? It shouldn't work. McFerrin, Jurreau, Ella, Sarah singing/scatting with a robot-voice, how does Quincy make this work?!

Like to think Timbaland listening to this and thinking, yes, this will be my aesthetic.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:05 am

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:35 am

Holy moley St. Vincent Masseduction. I'm going to recommend two songs I haven't heard praised enough yet...

A nasty 80s-era-Bowie guitar
and super Prince production and lyrics.
Sexy danceable greatness.
"I can't turn off what turns me on..."
I'll be surprised if Jack Antonoff doesn't win a best Producer grammy this year for his work with St. Vincent / Lorde / Swift.

A beautiful epic song
Danced with my toddler to this song a few days ago and it was magic
esp when it reaches into space 2:22 in.
Even though it seems to be about finding your lover in the bathroom ODing from a hidden drug addiction.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ronster » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:04 am

Here's where I lower the IQ of the whole room:

JAUNDICE!

Why am I the black crayon about everything?
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Iantha » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:34 am

Goddamnit that's catchy.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:56 am

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:58 am

All runs dry have missed you and your musics! Ronster, my auto-correct renders your name as all Runs. Some kind of everything is flux philosophy? Or more like rotavirus? Dry is the substitute for I.

Do I just wander through the world cackling at everything in an overly easily amused way, including my own dry humor, or do I just not sleep enough, or are those two things the same?
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:11 am

Can that song count as a whole album? Thanks.

You know what
I try to be a righteous man
I try to give love all over the world
But I'm tired of being used!

(300/365)
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:09 am

I already regret typing and thinking the simple phrase "blue moon". This is what the Monday morning brain is already dealing with and likely will be for hours, especially considering how poorly things are going in all sectors and fronts:

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:50 am

Have d. Why does that happen? It kind of annoys when I have stuff to do, the background musics.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:58 am

Jackie Wilson - Archive '57-'61 (303/365)

You better stop yeah, doggin' me around
If you don't stop I'm gonna put you down

<finger-kiss of perfection>
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:21 pm

(315/365)

I dunno if I buy "I hear the secrets that you keep when you're talking in your sleep". If that's the case my wife would wake me up with

"oh, so when where you going to tell me you could fly?"

"you should really run it by me if you're going back to high school to complete one last test you didn't study for."

"I dunno how I feel about you thinking the trash can was a toilet and peeing in it, in front of my parents no less..."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:39 am

Pete I just want you to know I'm still following along and dabbling in your awesome entries. I can't believe my life is such that I have no time to sit and listen to an album straight through, but that's how it is. I'd really like to reach 150 or so, but the main point is to keep it rolling and learn about new music.

In that spirit I finally checked out the thing people keep floating around about relaxing music. I think the "Neuroscience told us!" claim about this is totally bogus... It's a private study results of which one can't investigate, run by a company that has a sales agenda connected to what they're doing. So keeping that ginormous grain of salt in mind, they claim this song is particularly relaxing for the people in the UK that they studied: https://youtu.be/UfcAVejslrU

I find this fascinating because I listen to it and it almost gives me a headache. I loathe it. Granted, I'm comparing it to other ambient works of infinitely superior quality, but even as the stated purpose of relaxation it does nothing for me except maybe the opposite. Too much noise that seems to be going somewhere but you don't know where... Patterns that don't make sense and don't develop in a pleasing fashion... An overall sense of Chaos... None of this is relaxing to my brain at all. But then I wonder, is this because the whole thing is bogus, or do most people really find this relaxing and this is my idiosyncrasy? After all, most people seem to find meditation relaxing and for me it's like having a train sound barreling through your head. Not a good experience. I have a little list of lullabies that I sometimes use for relaxation if I've had a particularly wound up day, and this would not be on it.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:01 pm

This song has some really bad associations for me, but I can't escape it.

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:37 pm

I heard this on the radio and I was like whoa whoa is this the new Tool song? Did it finally happen? Alas, no, but it turns out that the guy is singing so there was a reason.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:44 am

318. Tammy Wynette - Anniversary: Twenty Years of Hits

Much like Loretta Lynn, who I adore, here's a bunch of fine songs of coping with bad men. And much like Loretta, she lays little blame on the men. Loretta tends to blame the hussy, the lady that has her husband's eye, "You ain't woman enough to take my man," come see the woman "trying to break up my family tree", etc. Tammy takes a different tact, blaming woman wronged, saying it's her fault for making her man wander, and if he does wander, you should "stand by your man." Otherwise, she is strong and her voice is beautiful, and I wish this song didn't fade 2 minutes 30 seconds in, it's an sweeping torch song over too soon:

Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:07 pm

My soundtrack for today is A Tribe Called Red, Stadium Pow Wow Ft. Black Bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAEmjW9 ... eCalledRed
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:28 pm

A Tribe Called Red - The Virus Ft. Saul Williams, Chippewa Travellers is another favorite.

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:15 pm

Still no sitting still for albums. Instead I'm not sitting still during this: , and . Okay, whoever you are, you decided to make King Julian out of this, and that's why we love King Julian.

He actually gets better looking as he ages, so these are not really the best videos for that purpose. I think he might even be my age. He is one of those all-time-most-gorgeous people. Yikes.

akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:00 pm

Just a bad fucking day.

Reel on a repeating loop

Return to “Nerd Babble”