[GB] Scoring Conditions

A board game of ancient Greek gods and heroes battling it out on the field of sport!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[GB] Scoring Conditions

Postby Eliahad » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:08 am

I had most of these thoughts last night while I was sleeping, but I wanted to get them down. For now, I'm keeping with the idea of the Pillars of Heaven being Goal Posts. There could be versions of what I'm thinking where the shrines are still the scoring areas.

Andrew's idea of each Hero having a goal that they defend instead of a set scoring area was very intriguing to me. So I came up with some scenarios:

2 Player Game: 2 Heroes v. 2 Heroes, 2 Goals set up across from each other.
3 Player Game: 1v1v1 or 2v2v2, 3 Goals set up, triangle formation. (Like we played yesterday, Flame and Andrew) Each Hero overlaps goals with one other Hero.
4 Player Game: 1v1v1v1 or 2v2, 2 Goals set up across from each other. 2 Heroes are going for one goal, 2 Heroes are going for the other goal.
5 Player Game: 1v1v1v1v1, ????????
6 Player Game: 2v2v2 or 1v1v1v1v1v1, 3 goals, 4 Heroes overlap on each goal area.

The person who puts the ball in the goal area gets 3 points. EVERYONE ELSE who's goal it is, gets 1 point. (Think assists.) The Heroes who are supposed to defend there, get zero points.

After someone scores, all board elements, including Heroes, remain where they are. The Godball is placed back on the central hex. Play resumes with the next Hero in the turn order. Or, in the alternative, with the next Hero in the turn order who was supposed to be defending the goal where the score happened.

First Hero (or Team of Heroes) to 7 points wins the game.

5 Players is the anomaly to me. I'm still trying to work it out.
Last edited by Eliahad on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Re: [GB] Scoring Conditions

Postby Bluedevyl » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:21 pm

The only scenario that fits 5 players in this model are if no one defends a goal... 5 player FFA, all goals score 3 for the scorer and 1 for everyone else. It's simply a race scenario. I'm not sure how that would play, but it would be fun to watch.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:34 pm

In 5 players case. Put all players on one side. Put godball on other side. Goal where players start.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Seriously,

5 player FFA. Set up like 6 players. 6th player is imaginary. Each time a goal is scored, shift the imaginary player clockwise. After 5 shifting, the game ends.

Realize this: there are 3 possible positions. One away from imaginary player, 2 away, and 3 away. Only 1 can be 3-away at the same time.

Clue in ancient Greece.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:35 pm

One more thought. Bring shrines in one hex, and cover it with pillars of heavens.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:10 pm

I'm just going to reply to these threads in order, now that I finally have a chance to sit down.

Scoring--just don't do anything that makes a new player's head spin. I'm cool with 2v2 or 2v2v2 or even 3v3, where each set of heroes shares a goal. 1pt if someone on your "team" scores a point, plus a bonus of 1 or 2 points to the person who actually did the scoring. I'm also fine with the free-for-all setups of 4 or 6 heroes where each Hero has an individual target goal.

If you have 5 players... I personally say you play 2v2v2 where one player has 2 heroes on the same team.

Anything beyond those gets into a head-spin factor for me that really requires some kind of awesome payoff to justify the added complexity.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:49 pm

Placement of the goals. I can't remember where this was, so I'll put it here in Scoring.

You mentioned defining the goals with the Pillars, and then Pillars could be moved by the gods to change the size of the goal. The problem is (as Wowie pointed out), what happens when the goalposts no longer bracket a straight line of hexes? For varying sizes and orientation of goals, how do you define what counts as a goal and what falls a hex short?

The picture in my head is that each goal will be three hexes in a line. At the start of the game, the Pillars will mark the "goalposts" on either side of the goals, but then Pillars can wander (as pillars do). If the Pillar moves into a goal hex, then the goal just got smaller. If the Pillar moves away from the goal, then the goal doesn't get any bigger, but it DOES become easier to access without that impassable Pillar blocking one end.

This would be a sample of a field with three goals. The goal hexes are in gray, and the starting Pillar positions are brown.

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:15 pm

Mike: I know you're off busy doing other things -- Black Panther -- but I just realized how we can get the best of both worlds from your set up over there. Keep the Goal Area as 3 hexes, but slide the Pillars of Heaven so that each end of the scoring zone has a Pillar of Heaven on it. At the beginning of the game, the spot in the middle is open. If an opponent slides one end over to block you...the other end opens up. If you slide a pillar off the goal entirely, you have another hex that you can score on. So it has the feel of an end zone /and/ a goal post.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."

Return to “Godball”