[GB] Godball

A board game of ancient Greek gods and heroes battling it out on the field of sport!
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: [GB] Godball

Postby Mike » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:34 am

Shhh... Don't give away the expansions yet.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:57 pm

Ahhhh..... Do you know who the heroes or champions are going to be yet?
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Eliahad » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:28 pm

"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:31 pm

I have created generic power decks where all the Gods playing will have the exact same powers. Now I just need to find some champion tokens (I'm thinking of using the Monopoly tokens for now for giggles.) and everything is ready to go for a generic, let's see how this feels first test!

Whilst creating these power decks, it occurs to me that the flavor of the decks are, ultimately, going to make or break the game. The powers I currently created are bland, and uninteresting -- which is okay for the initial proof of concept, I think -- but by highly tuning the God cards to the theme of that God, we can create something that has a lot more bang for its buck!
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:40 pm

Oh, and I made player tokens out of the card backs for the game. We're good to go!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:39 pm

It sounds fine to let them be generic conduits. If you want to give each an identity at some point, however, there is usually at least one cool option for each of those deities. Like you could have Argus for Hera and Atalanta for Artemis... Etc.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Anybody up for a test, Saturday or Sunday evening?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:17 pm

Let me check. Saturday night we have a surprise party to attend. No clue on Sunday.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:04 am

It doesn't have to be Saturday or Sunday. I also have evenings free next week. Like, Thursday for example.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:12 am

I like Thursdays.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:28 pm

But at the end of Percy Jackson, Hades was allowed back into Olympus. I'm pretty sure that's Greek myth canon.

[Jokes aside, you've got a good point, Darcs (and Phoebe). As attached as I am to Hades, this is probably a good way to go.]
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:27 pm

I like Hades as being a foil, but yes it's totally worth trying to match the actual mythology. My Bullfinch's is currently not where I am. I can go get it at some point, but I'll do more research before I get it back. It's definitely going to happen as the God decks start getting built in earnest!

Thanks, Darcs and Pheebs!
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:39 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:58 pm

I think you should also feel free to be creative, and take inspiration from literature and other sources as it strikes you. This is obviously a crazed game of FUN and the cool details about the deities are icing on the cake, but shouldn't be a straitjacket.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:11 pm

I'm just going to leave this here for later.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:18 pm

https://i.imgur.com/ppd4t3Y.jpg

Got the hexes to print finally. They're a little wonky, but still.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:39 pm

Nice!

For the playtest, we're just going with a predefined solid map, but I keeping playing around with numbers and methods for customizing.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:33 am

THOSE ARE AWESOME! ...ahem...neat!
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:25 am

(Here is an alternate idea I wanted to capture before I forget:

Champions are not dedicated to a single god. They instead travel to shrines to pray to gain God Cards for which ever God they feel like, this means they can get powers from several different Gods. Instead of bringing the Godball to a particular shrine, they have to bring the Godball to be blessed by the Gods at a certain number of shrines. Every time the Godball is blessed at a shrine, it returns to the center and needs to be reclaimed again.

Thematically this might not be as strong, but it might be worth testing at some point to see how it plays out.)

Return to “Godball”