[GB] God Themes

A board game of ancient Greek gods and heroes battling it out on the field of sport!
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[GB] God Themes

Postby Eliahad » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:34 pm

This occurred to me so I want to get it down before the thought escapes me. Each God should have a theme and flavor to their powers. This will also need to be brainstormed, but I was kind of headed in that direction anyway. This is what I came up with on first attempt:

Zeus - Balanced (slight lean toward Attack and Defense)
Heremes - Movement and Speed
Poseidon - Terrain Manipulation
Hera - Card and Hand Manipulation
Athena - Imbuement (Planning and Wisdom)
Aphrodite - Champion Mainpulation

[edit: These 2 are no longer in the initial set:
Hades - Deception and Barriers
Ares - Attacks and Defenses
Last edited by Eliahad on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: [GB] God Themes

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:50 pm

Excellent thought.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Eliahad » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:29 am

Now that more of the elements are back into the game, it's time to start thinking about the themes of the Gods again. What is each Gods' focus? How has their focus changed because of the changes to the game? This will be helpful as we start to build each God and Godesses' individual deck.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:31 am

Also, oh my, have things changed since September!

It might be worth it, also, to consider all 12 Gods of Olympus as we do this. Even if 6 are in the initial set, it wouldn't hurt to start looking a wee little further afield, at least when it comes to God Archetypes.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Especially Bacchus.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:37 pm

Dionysus is offended.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Today I learned...

Clue in ancient Greece.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:20 pm

Oh. TV Hercules had both Bacchus and Dionysus!

Clue in ancient Greece.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:46 pm

I agree we should explore at least 12 gods.

Aphrodite
Apollo
Ares
Artemis
Demeter
Hephaestus
Hera
Hermes
Poseidon
Zeus

That's 11, plus probably Dionysus to fill out the dozen.

Also look at Hestia and Hades

My vision here is that we'll come up with a whole bunch of cards in our master deck. Some will become "universal cards"--the basics that are seen in pretty much every deck. But a bunch of the rest will naturally suggest themselves towards particular goda. Then it's just a matter of filling in the gaps.

I know there's no way it will be that simple, but I'm a dreamer.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:38 pm

Hermes... probably the easiest.
Travel
Trade
Thievery
Herds and flocks

Allow 2 sprints in one turn
Cheap/free move
Extra move
Trade hands
Steal HP
Steal Godball
Ignore terrain
Clear terrain
Then definitely summon a herd of sheep
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:39 pm

Viscous killer sheep, of course.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Battle Sheep
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:44 pm

Poseidon is going to be all about terrain manipulation, and not just water.

Though I imagine his epic water power will create ocean in the six tiles around his Hero and then they will move out one hex from there, flooding everything.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:59 am

Agreed.

I imagine Hera as more focused on straight-up blessings and curses. Especially curses. She should also have some nasty responses to anyone who has just attacked her.

Aphrodite is about manipulating the actions of others. Choosing the results of other people's actions. Changing the target of a shove or grab. Changing where the ball lands. Even going so far as "after an opponent declares a move action, Aphrodite chooses what hex they move to".

Ares is about the Godball. He's strong in attacking the Hero with the ball. He's strong in moving the ball to his goal. Very direct.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:36 am

Zeus and Apollo are more balanced in their approaches, while Zeus is a little more direct in his methods (a little like Ares, Hera and Poseidon), Apollo is a little craftier (following after Athena, Aphrodite and Hermes.)
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:48 am

If we stick with our original six, that's 3 male, 3 female--3 direct, 3 sneaky. Some more moderate than others. Good mix.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:38 am

Demeter is harder, but I see her as being a manipulator of terrain (goddess of earth and agriculture) as well as a healer--manipulating HP totals.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:52 pm

I can see Demeter as having a lot of board elements. So yes, she has terrain control (forrest probably) but also having lots of those barriers (that aren't barriers).
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:49 pm

I think Hades might be a bit easier to work out than Hestia, but that could just be me.

I also think that it would be interesting if there were interplay between the Gods. A God card for Demeter that gives a special additional blessing if her Hero is opposed by Hades could be really interesting.

There wouldnt have to be too many, but one opposing God for each of the twelve could be really fun. They wouldnt always come up, but if/when they did they'd be super interesting... but perhaps too powerful.

While our Heroes aren't going to "die", per se, Hades could "resurrect" a hero to their starting point if they are way out of position.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:58 pm

I think Hades would be wayyyy easier. But we had a conversation at one point where we realized that Hades isn't actually on Mt. Olympus. Now, this might become a moot point, since we're planning on including other pantheons later down the road, and Hades is certainly part of the Greek/Roman Pantheon, but for now, leaving him off has a certain appeal to me.

Also, since he's been left off, he's pissed off about it. When we get a set of the next 6 gods together, I want there to be a HADES deck, where each round a card is drawn. Sometimes, it's nothing, but sometimes it has an event that affects everybody on the board, because he just wants to MESS with people.

Return to “Godball”