Playtest Tomorrow?

A board game of ancient Greek gods and heroes battling it out on the field of sport!
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Playtest Tomorrow?

Postby Eliahad » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:07 pm

It's late notice to ask, but I've been itching to play, and I have a free night tomorrow night. Anyone else?
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Playtest Tomorrow?

Postby FlameBlade » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:12 pm

Think I am good.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:38 pm

I'm in
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:30 pm

I'll make sure I'm there by 9 EST!
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:07 pm

Daylight savings, sir.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:20 pm

9 EDT!
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:35 pm

I will try. No promises.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:23 pm

It's not you. It's me. I'm notoriously unreliable.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Miiiiiiiiike, I made a deck that has blessings, curses and terrain cards. It's there waiting to be played. It's callllllllling you!!!!!
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:42 pm

I'll be there in about a half hour
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:44 pm

I'm picking up Eli at 8pm. Then he needs to practice his speech for tomorrow (A dramatic reading of Jabberwocky) and then I'm available.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:56 pm

"You can do three things on your turn: Move, Card, Actions.
But you can only do one of those things at a time."
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:28 pm

"The Key Rule"

You may not Stand Still in the center hex or in any of the goal areas.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:09 pm

Hold off on key rule. Remains to be seen if camping the center is abusive or not.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:35 am

Writing clear rules is hard.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:51 pm

For consideration:

1. No clue on camping right now. Considering making Mt Olympus off limits unless it contains the Godball. Then you may enter Olympus to retrieve the ball. Once inside, you may remain until you're ready to leave. If you are on Mt Olympus and you lose the Godball for whatever reason, then you are immediately shunted to an adjacent unoccupied hex of your choosing. (Unoccupied, in this case, meaning no Hero, no Godball.)

Not convinced yet that we need a no-camping rule, but that's how I would go about it.

2. I'm bothered by multiple actions on a turn. Not sure why. I mean, if you have the HP, then go for it. But I'm considering something like a max of 2 actions on your action phase and they must be 2 different actions. So Sprint+Force Fumble. Shove+Force Fumble. Sprint+Throw. Etc.

Again, not convinced this is actually a problem (except to limit options a bit and move stuff faster). Just a thought.

2a. Also we could do something like an extra cost for multiple actions, but I don't like the feel of that at all.

3. The balance of HP was about as perfect as it gets last night. I wasn't superman, but I felt like careful play and strategic cards allowed me to actually hold onto the Godball and keep control of the situation. I had barely enough to defend myself, but I COULD defend myself. Very different from earlier games where holding the Godball for a full round felt like an exercise in masochism.

Our next playtest has to implement terrain and barriers and other special features, because we have to see how well this balance survives additional hex costs on movement.

4. I'm partial to the idea of requiring the acting player to announce all attack moves at once. It felt weird to have somone attack me, and then when I choose to defend, THEN they decide to attack me again. Maybe I'm just being whiny, but I don't like them getting to see the results of move A and then decide whether to put points into B. I'd rather see the strategerie of deciding whether to go big or not.

Downside, you have to announce your Grab+Force Fumble all at once, but not your Shove+Sprint. Eh.. I'm just whiny.

5. I had a five, but then I got distracted. Shoot.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:06 pm

I REMEMBER!

5. I was having an internal struggle with Sprint. Is Sprint movement or is it action? Because we treat it as both. But as I puzzled it out, I realized I was making something out of nothing. We have a single move called Rest which simply requires that you not spend HP on any sort of action. This was different when we had 1HP for taking no action, and another 1HP for not moving. Now... not so important to make the distinction.

6. I hate to muddy the pretty Hero Cards, but it works so well to just slot Blessings and Curses onto the card... we really should have slots for MOVE and DEFEND, because those can be modified just as easily as any other potential action.

7. Durations on cards:
a. Permanent
b. Discard after next use.
c. Tracking with markers. For this, I'm imagining getting a DEFEND blessing that says to put 3 tokens on the card. Each time you defend, you may use one of the tokens in place of 1HP. When the card is empty, discard. Since the base cost for all actions is 2HP, this could work for any of them. It's like getting 3 bonus HP that can only be used for a single purpose.

The downside is having more stuff to fiddle with and track, and maybe we're fine with only having the two choices of permanent or single use.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:20 pm

Return to “Godball”