[MCU] #15 Ant Man vs. #18 Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Which movie is better?

Ant Man (2015)
57%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
43%

Total votes: 7
Kyle

[MCU] #15 Ant Man vs. #18 Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Post by Kyle »

#15 Ant Man (2015)
Armed with a super-suit with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, cat burglar Scott Lang must embrace his inner hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym, pull off a plan that will save the world.
#18 Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
As Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world, he teams up with a fellow Avenger and S.H.I.E.L.D agent, Black Widow, to battle a new threat from history: an assassin known as the Winter Soldier.
DMDarcs

Re: [MCU] #15 Ant Man vs. #18 Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Post by DMDarcs »

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is probably the most under-rated of the MCU movies.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Forget what I said in the other thread- you need to apologize for this opinion.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I love Ant-Man. It's a heist movie and a comedy. It's a ton of fun. If I had to pick one to watch right now, Ant-Man is comfort food.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a spy thriller, and a good one. I'm with Darcs that this is an underrated flick. It's Captain America at his best, standing up for American ideals against a corrupted American government.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

DMDarcs wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:28 pm Captain America: The Winter Soldier is probably the most under-rated of the MCU movies.
I didn't care for it because I felt that it was the wrong balance of Movie-It's-Trying-To-Be and MCU-Formula. That said, I've only seen it once and maybe I wasn't in a good place for it when I saw it. But rest assured this September my two oldest sons and I are going to watch all the MCU movies in chronological order, and I might revisit my opinion here.
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

Kyle wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:26 pm I didn't care for it because I felt that it was the wrong balance of Movie-It's-Trying-To-Be and MCU-Formula. That said, I've only seen it once and maybe I wasn't in a good place for it when I saw it. But rest assured this September my two oldest sons and I are going to watch all the MCU movies in chronological order, and I might revisit my opinion here.
I really think it's the fact that you've only seen it once. If I based my vote only on initial viewing, it's Ant-Man, for every reason Mike picked it, and not Winter Soldier, for everyone you didn't pick it. I've watched Winter Soldier multiple times since my first viewing (seems like there's alwaya a Marvel movie on when I'm writing lesson plans), and once you accept the fact that it's not really a superhero movie but a thriller, it's a lot better. The sequence with Zola uploading his concsiousness onto a punch card computer system? Super-chilling. It is my second most fear-inducing MCU scene (directly behind the opening credit montage of Black Widow).

Winter Soldier is also one of the few MCU's that I haven't seen in theaters.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I didn't pick Ant-Man, as much as I love it.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

I liked the thriller aspects of Winter Soldier a ton! What I did not like was how they decided to take the violence quotient up a couple of notches to the point where we were actually saying, "Okay we get it, they're going for gritty realism, but would Captain America actually kill all of these people?" And by the time they got to the airship sequences, we had checked out of the action portions, when clearly that was supposed to be the coolest one.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I didn't vote, but if I need to break the tie, let me know :-)
Mike

Post by Mike »

If you don't, then Kyle will. Your option.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I voted to break the tie.