Pathfinder online?

bralbovsky

Pathfinder online?

Post by bralbovsky »

Sorry to reopen old threads or old wounds, but I was certain there was some discussion of Pathfinder online here.
It's discounted on gog, and I am toying with the idea of getting it.
So far, I've been brutally disappointed with most online rpgs.They just get polluted by idiots or fail to make the game mechanics faithful.
You all have better perspective on this than I, so here I am resurrecting a dead thread.
Tahlvin

Re: Pathfinder online?

Post by Tahlvin »

I stay away from multi-player computer games, since I don't like for my fun to be tied to the actions of someone else. It's a bit odd, because I realize it's the same thing as playing pen and paper RPGs to a degree, which I really enjoy. But pen-and-paper RPGs tend to be cooperative, where the players work together as a team against foes run by the GM, while MMORPGs tend to be a lot of PvP and groups fighting each other, and I just don't find it enjoyable when my fun will be dependent on someone else not having fun (or more likely, someone else's fun will result in me having a miserable time). That has generally proven true by my son, who tends to end up screaming at the computer every time he plays MMOs because other groups or other teammates acting like asses. So I tend to stick with games more like Pathfinder Kingmaker, and the upcoming Pathfinder Path of the Righteous, or the Baldur's Gate-related games, to get my D&D/Pathfinder computer game fix.
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

Ahh thank you.
See, I didn't even know what I was talking about because Kingmaker is what's on sale.
the MMORPG thing does frequently just prove the "Hell is other people" thesis.
It wasn't clear that what I was looking at was solo.
Stan

Post by Stan »

If you like Pathfinder, Kingmaker is good. It's Baldur's Gate style with Pathfinder, plus it has an overlay of governing with events and advisors. I liked the governing part of the game even better than the adventuring.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I'll also say that Kingmaker has a bit of replay-ability. The general storyline will remain the same each time, but based on the alignment of your character (which can change overtime based on the actions you take) and the choices you make, many details could change. That extends to the kingdom management aspect as well, such as certainly buildings/improvements only being available to rulers of certain alignments.