[New Game] Forum Skull

Eliahad

[New Game] Forum Skull

Post by Eliahad »

Let me know who is interested in the forum version of the game "Skull." It's going to work like this.

Skull is a push your luck card game. The goal of the game is to be successful twice (more on that later) or to be the last person standing.

Everyone has 4 cards, one of which is a Skull. The other 3 cards are Not Skulls.

The game starts with everyone placing 1 of their 4 cards in front of them. You do not tell anyone what card you placed down. The moderator will know, but we'll talk about that later.

Then, starting with the first player, you either place another card 'face down' in on top of your stack in front of you, or you bid on the number of cards you can draw from the cards around the 'table.' Like, "I can draw 3 cards." At this point, placing cards face down stops, and players may only bid a higher number or pass.

If all players pass, the person who 'won' the bid begins the challenge. Starting with flipping their own stack of cards over, the challenger tries to AVOID drawing a Skull. Then, after your own stack, the challenger goes around the table choosing which opponents' cards they wish to flip. You do not need to flip all of that opponent's cards, but you MUST flip from the top of a stack down. If you draw a Skull you lose, and the player who showed you the skull randomly takes away one of your cards. It is possible to GET yourself, if you do, you select which card you are discarding.

If you successfully reach your bid, you are successful and are one step closer to victory.

If, when you start running out of cards, you can no longer play a card to your stack, you MUST bid. Boy does this feeling suck if you only have a Skull left. It is not, however, the end of the world.

Okay, so...how are we going to do this online?

I'm the moderator. I will determine a player order for the round, you will also submit to me via PM the order of your hand for a round. Like this:

Card 1 - NOT SKULL
Card 2 - SKULL
Card 3 - NOT SKULL
Card 4 - NOT SKULL

You will do it this way so there is no doubt which of your 4 cards is a SKULL.

Then, when the round starts, you will say:

I play Card 3. My stack is: Card 3.

Then, if you choose to play again on your turn, you'll say, "I play Card 2. My Stack is: Card 2, Card 3."

Whichever card is furthest to the left if your top card. And the card that opponents will choose to flip.

Beyond that, my job is to hold the integrity of the honor system (because this is 'murica!) and to answer questions about play. You are entirely allowed to self moderate, but if there are errors, I will correct things. Basically, I'm a computer.

IN BETWEEN ROUNDS, you can send me a new order of cards. Or not. You don't have to tell anyone other than me that is what's happening. Or tell everyone, I don't care.

It's a bluffing game, feel free, when someone chooses to select one of your cards, to give them hell and convince them not to. The hardest part, I think will be keeping the game going.

And now, Questions!
Kyle

Re: [New Game] Forum Skull

Post by Kyle »

I'm in.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yes!
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I read it and now have disturbing doubts about my cognitive wellness. I'll try again tomorrow and if it makes sense then... Ok.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

It's not you, most likely. My cognitive abilities yesterday were adequate at best, and my ability to be clear for others, or properly explain, was not my finest work. Also, it seems to have continued into today.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Question... sample scenario...

So far, everyone has played two cards, so everyone has a stack of two face down cards in front of them. I won the bid. Therefore:
1. I must first flip over the top card of my own stack.
2. After that, I can choose ANY stack out there (including my own) and flip over the top card of that stack.
3. Repeat step 2 until I have flipped over enough total cards to match my bid.

Caveat: at any point, if I flip over a skull, then my turn is over and I forfeit a card?

Am I reading this correctly?
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Mostly right! You must flip all of your own stack first, but then the rest of it proceeds as you described.

So if you bid 5, the first two cards are your own, and then you need to flip 3 more cards of anyone you choose, but it is always the top card of their stack.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

In that scenario, could I flip both of my cards, then both of player 2's cards, then player 3's top card? Or would I have to flip player 3's top card before I could flip player 2's second card? And if there's a player 4, I can't flip player 2's second card because I'd have to flip player 4's first card first? I think I know the answer but want to make sure. Not that I've agreed to play.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Okay my cognizer is working slightly but not fully better today. I have this question:

What makes you win? Like is it your goal to gather everybody else's cards? At some point that will be impossible, so ... Are you trying to earn a certain number of points on the bid until you reach a winning number of points?
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Your goal is to avoid the skulls. If you are the winning bidder, and you successfully avoid picking a skull. You win that round. If you successfully avoid picking a skull twice, you have won the game.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I'm confused about strategy. If I have to exhaust my stack first... I don't know. I'd have to play it a few times to think through the strategy.

If I'm the winning bidder, what happens to the cards?
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

To the first point: That's why it's a bluffing game.

To the second point: If you win, everyone takes their cards back and nothing is discarded that round.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

So you never gain cards, only lose cards when you lose, right?

And in the instance where I lose to myself, can I choose to discard my skull? And when a card is discarded, is it secret or public?
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

You lose a card if you draw a skull. You will not gain cards back at any point. If you lose all four cards, you're out.

The discarded card is always secret to the table, including the person randomly selecting the card. The player whose hand it is will know, but that's it.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I am interested but feel like it's the kind of game one could in theory figure out, with logics and reasonable predictions, and yet I'm so tired and storing up any scrap of good cognitive function for work, I don't know if I could handle it or keep up. I would be sad to do it poorly, knowing that basic reasoning would solve it. I don't know. That sounds pathetic but there it is. I need a game where I can be sloppy and fail and not have to judge myself.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

It is not a solvable game, thankfully! A different concern would be that it's a great table game, and a terrible forum game. I'll start a round in a bit and it will start to make more sense.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Yeah- I think we'll learn by playing. But deal me in. I want to try.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Okay if you're absolving me for responsibility for being a rational thinker then I'm in.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Phoebe wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:32 am Okay if you're absolving me for responsibility for being a rational thinker then I'm in.
Eli doesn't speak for me.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm in regardless.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

I will start the first round tomorrow! 3 people will be perfect.

In the mean time:

You have a hand of four cards. One is a skull, three are a non-skull.

Can you pm me the order of your hand. For example:

Card 1 - Non-skull
Card 2 - Non-skull
Card 3 - Skull
Card 4 - Non-skull

You can order these cards however you wish. You will only ever have the one skull. Your hand will remain in this order for the remainder of the round. You can change the order of your hand after a round is over.

I will post up new instructions when the round begins.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I'd be up to play again. I think I'm getting the hang of the strategy.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Me too! I'll even adjudicate a round if Eli wants to get in.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I would do it only if you cannot get a new third player - anyone? It's pretty fun! The thing is I have sick people here and can't easily guarantee steady checking in.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

We can probably play with 4 and have it still work on the forums. I'm happy to run again if you would like. Or at least be the eyes in the sky that adjudicates disputes.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Things are not going over here in a manner that would prove conducive to regular play so you should do one without me. But I like it and would play again.